Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I wasnt sure how to properly size the hoses for the hydro steering so I decided to contact Eric @ Radial Dynamics (where I ordered all the major steering components) and he gave me good direction on what size hoses to use. I'm going to post this here for future reference.

You are running a 6 GPM pump so for this, I recommend a -12 low pressure feed hose from the reservoir to pump, -8 high pressure hose from pump to orbital, - 6 high pressure hoses from orbital to ram, and for the return from orbital back to reservoir (including filter/cooler) you should use low pressure -8 minimum but -10 recommended.

Just for reference, hose sizing goes not by the ports that you are connecting but rather by flow velocity. 6 GPM is a constant through the main circuit but by hydraulic rules of thumb, the feed should be limited to around 4 FPS (ft/sec) flow velocity, high pressure lines 15-25 FPS, and return lines 10 FPS. By evaluating the flow in GPM and the ID of hoses, the above recommended hoses fit those general rules for velocity.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Would like to try and get coil-overs on order sooner than later so I'm trying to figure out how I can come up with the sprung weight to get the correct springs. I don't have easy access to race scales so I was thinking about getting a crane scale like this below. Use my engine hoist and lift from the middle of the chassis front and rear to get front and rear weights. Should get me decent numbers right? I'm assuming it wont weigh over 2k pounds front or rear. Not everything is on the buggy yet so I'll have to factor that into what I think final weights would be.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088BL3DF...olid=383P44OQ4BZI2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,896 Posts
I think you should be able to get some good info using that. Should help you get sprung vs un-sprung weights also.

Please keep us posted on who you choose to order from etc.. I really wanna upgrade my suspension at some point. Accutune seems kinda cool because it sounds like they spend a fair amount of time trying to help you get good valving and set up out of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I think you should be able to get some good info using that. Should help you get sprung vs un-sprung weights also.

Please keep us posted on who you choose to order from etc.. I really wanna upgrade my suspension at some point. Accutune seems kinda cool because it sounds like they spend a fair amount of time trying to help you get good valving and set up out of the box.
My plan is to order from Accutune for those same reasons. Havent really decided yet exactly what I'm going to get other than Fox coil-overs (probably remote resi) and 14" travel. I'll see what they recommend. Not sure if I'll go 2" or 2.5" and considering the DSC adjusters so I can make adjustments (rock crawling vs dunes).

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,847 Posts
I have 3.0 springs for 2.5 coilovers you can borrow to set it down on if you want to save money not buying the scale. You won't be able to get your final springs ordered until you have it all complete so figure out the shocks, order them, and do springs once it's all wrapped up. I'm sure you can find someone with 2.5" springs laying around to borrow at that time too. Or you can take a look at similar buggies and use the weights they run. If you plan on 2" of preload, you won't miss your guess by more than you can take up with preload anyway. My $.02

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Decided the only way to mount the reservoir high was to run it out above the hood. Not the cleanest look but I'm ok with it.
View attachment 280879

KillerB (OG's know) asked me exactly why I had mounted the reservoir so high and that got me to thinking. It was because the older, log-style intake manifold was in the way. Well I forgot I had recently picked up a newer style intake for free so last night started cutting out the brackets for the reservoir and working on swapping intakes.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,185 Posts
KillerB was a good dood!

whoa! That pressure valve seems like a neat little gizmo. I may have to add that since I have already had fluid leak out the hose.

I bought my Kings from FilthyMotorSports and they were always helpful. They have a (as do most anyone these days) spring exchange program so you can order springs you think you need, then when you get all the weight settled and you need new springs, you exchange them.

If you do the scale method you need to take the weight of the axles/wheels out.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 · (Edited)
KillerB was a good dood!

whoa! That pressure valve seems like a neat little gizmo. I may have to add that since I have already had fluid leak out the hose.

I bought my Kings from FilthyMotorSports and they were always helpful. They have a (as do most anyone these days) spring exchange program so you can order springs you think you need, then when you get all the weight settled and you need new springs, you exchange them.

If you do the scale method you need to take the weight of the axles/wheels out.
Yes he was/is 😁

From what I know that pressure valve is supposed to prevent leaks and keep a small amount of pressure to reduce cavitation.

Sunday I did end up scaling everything as it sits is right now (chassis as is sits, front axle, rear axle, winch, wheels, and tires) and the total weight was just north of 3100 lbs. Seemed light to me so I need to find something of known weight and make sure the scale is accurate. Not sure what the unsprung weight (minus axles, wheels, tires) was but I have it all written down at home. I still planning on ordering from Accutune so I want to at least get the number close. Once I verify the scale is correct/close I might sit down and see if I can figure what the final weight might be. Most everything is on the buggy but still a few more items to add.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,185 Posts
ha ha, for sure IS a good dood.

I read up on the valve after seeing you post it. I ordered it from Summit last night...will be here at about 1:30 today.

If you use the springs for weight, make sure you charge the coilovers up. I did not and it messed with my numbers a bit. I also added a lot of things after, but it helped me out in the long run. Started at 7" shaft showing and now I'm at 6"...perfect!

what is the lead time on coilovers these days? I Had to wait around 3 months at the very beginning of Covid.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
ha ha, for sure IS a good dood.

I read up on the valve after seeing you post it. I ordered it from Summit last night...will be here at about 1:30 today.

If you use the springs for weight, make sure you charge the coilovers up. I did not and it messed with my numbers a bit. I also added a lot of things after, but it helped me out in the long run. Started at 7" shaft showing and now I'm at 6"...perfect!

what is the lead time on coilovers these days? I Had to wait around 3 months at the very beginning of Covid.
What are you running for travel numbers? I'm going with 14" travel CO's setup with 5"-6" of up travel.

No idea what lead times are these days but I'm sure its longer than I'd like :ROFLMAO: I'd really like to have this thing ready for a shakedown run this summer, which is why I'm trying to get it to the point where I can get them on order soon.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,185 Posts
What are you running for travel numbers? I'm going with 14" travel CO's setup with 5"-6" of up travel.

No idea what lead times are these days but I'm sure its longer than I'd like :ROFLMAO: I'd really like to have this thing ready for a shakedown run this summer, which is why I'm trying to get it to the point where I can get them on order soon.
I have 14" coilovers and its sitting around 6" of shaft showing on all 4 corners (no people inside). Its perfect for my setup and the front tire just clears the front fender at full stuff.

Not fun waiting for critical parts for a build :( Wide Open Design sells Radflo Co's and are always saying they have them in stock.....may be another option if you can't wait. They do spring exchanges as well.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I have 14" coilovers and its sitting around 6" of shaft showing on all 4 corners (no people inside). Its perfect for my setup and the front tire just clears the front fender at full stuff.

Not fun waiting for critical parts for a build :( Wide Open Design sells Radflo Co's and are always saying they have them in stock.....may be another option if you can't wait. They do spring exchanges as well.
Didn't you run it at the dunes already? Did 6" seem to be enough? Kind of hoping my setup will let me at least have a little bit of fun at the dunes...not be slamming on the bump stops all day.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,185 Posts
I did run it at the dunes. I did not have the winch installed or the full skids. After these it dropped and also the springs settled in

7” was more then enough. I was riding a lot on the bumps as they were 4” stroke.

6” with 2” stroke bumps would be perfect. At least on the trails and in some of the whoops I’ve hit at mounds.

i can always lift the height with the CO adjuster and gain more height if needed….but do not see that being needed

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,185 Posts
That's great to hear, I was thinking 6" with 2" bumps for mine as well. And like you said can always add a little more lift at the dunes if it ends up needing it. Thanks for the info!
You're welcome!

Its great when you can sit in it and play with the switches and things turn on/off. You are almost there!

161 - 180 of 201 Posts