Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,822 Posts
Tonight I got the motor started and running off my new wiring. Very satisfying 😁 Just temporarily set things up to do that so now time to really clean up my wiring. No that is not the wiring trays permanent location :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 280287

Also picked up a gently used Warn 9.5XP this morning locally off marketplace 😁 Might figure a way to make my own multi mount so I can run it front or rear.
View attachment 280288
Mount it on the front and make a guide/pulley area to run it under the buggy to the rear to pull you backwards when needed.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
Mount it on the front and make a guide/pulley area to run it under the buggy to the rear to pull you backwards when needed.
I tried that once. It doesn't work very well. Why? When you are stuck, it's a bitch to try to run the cable underneath. If you pre-run it, then you always need a snatch block if you are winching forward. But I agree. Mount it on the front. It's pretty rare that you need to winch backwards and no-one is around to winch you or pull you.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Today I put in an order with Radial Dynamics for the hydro steering 😁 Really positive experience working with Eric. He took the time to custom tailor a system to my build and gave me options along the way. Cant wait to get those parts in and start working on that portion of the build.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,822 Posts
Today I put in an order with Radial Dynamics for the hydro steering 😁 Really positive experience working with Eric. He took the time to custom tailor a system to my build and gave me options along the way. Cant wait to get those parts in and start working on that portion of the build.
How did that compare to a PSC kit with a Jeep specific PSC pump? I'm sure it'll be sweet, but realistically, you've build a buggy lighter than a jeep so I'm not sure what prompted going with radial dynamics, other than it being really nice stuff and the owner knowing his shit. Not knocking, just curious. I've been following the radial dynamic facespace page and utoob for a while now because of his knowledge and insight.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
How did that compare to a PSC kit with a Jeep specific PSC pump? I'm sure it'll be sweet, but realistically, you've build a buggy lighter than a jeep so I'm not sure what prompted going with radial dynamics, other than it being really nice stuff and the owner knowing his shit. Not knocking, just curious. I've been following the radial dynamic facespace page and utoob for a while now because of his knowledge and insight.

As far as components go, the biggest difference was I went with his CB-X pump. He gave me three offerings for pumps: TC (least expensive...I believe this is the pump that comes with the standard Jeep kits), CBR (better flow but not as reliable as TC), and his CB-X design (better flow than TC and more reliable than CBR). So I decided to spend a little extra money there. According to Eric the CB-X pumps should be a direct replacement in terms of mounting as the OEM Jeep pumps. We'll see. I also decided to spend a little extra money by going with his fluid cooler design and an external filter. I figured these three things would help with reliability, and thus a better off-road experience...I don't want to spend all this time/money on the build, bunch of money to travel on trips, and then have issues on the trail. Can't get away from having breakdowns and issues completely but if there are products that can help that and I can afford it up front I'll go that route. I chose not to buy his Vortex reservoir and with a PSC unit instead. The Vortex reservoirs are a great design, but I couldn't justify the added cost.

Most of the products he offers are PSC components so after he sent me quote I compared them against the PSC site. Prices were the same. So I spent more than had I called up PSC and just got their standard offering, but I appreciated the customer service and was willing to spend extra where I thought it mattered.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Been messing around with bumper designs for awhile now. Came across a neat winch cradle idea that TMR uses on their chassis so decided to use that as inspiration. Seems like it keeps the winch low, allowing more air flow to the radiator, I'm going to need all I can get. And maybe an easy way to switch between front pull and using it as a suck down winch. Need to wait for my wheels to come in so I can check clearances before I move forward with it. Just thought I'd share.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Art Automotive wheel system Font Illustration

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Triangle Mode of transport

Tire Wheel Triangle Font Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
One of the next big decisions/projects I need to tackle is what knuckle setup I'm going to run on my front 60. My original plan was to run everything from a Dodge BJ 60 from the outer knuckles out. I was going this route because early in the build I was able to purchase a Dodge axle for cheap. I'm no longer sure I want to go this route because I'm not sure the outer shafts can be upgraded if I start breaking parts and the lack of locking hubs. My second option is to cannibalize a D50 that I have, use everything from the inner knuckles out. Not sure if the outer axle shafts on a D50 are upgradable and not sure if there is u-joint compatibility between a Ford 92-99 inner shaft and a D50 outer shaft.

Other things I'm working on. Now that I have an idea of where the coilovers are going I can start adding tubing to the front and rear of the chassis to mount those as well as other necessary tubes. I also purchased one of the Corbeau seats so I can start mounts for those as well as other areas of the interior.
Well I added another variable into the front axle equation yesterday. Picked up a complete 2005+ D60....it was a deal and I like to hoard axles :ROFLMAO: So I'm 99% sure I'm not going to go the Dodge outer knuckle route any more. Dodge outer knuckle seems pretty weak and they wouldn't leave me many options for upgrades in the future if I start breaking things. So as of today I'm 50/50 on whether to run the D50 outers or start from scratch and run the 2005+ D60. Either way I can run 35spline outers in the future. 2005+ inner knuckle seems beefier than the older 60s, outer knuckle seems comparable to the D50. Both unit bearings would need to be redrilled to 8on6.5, D50 wheel bearing would also need to be bored out for 35spline. Pretty sure the pumpkin location on the 2005+ works with my driveline and chassis. Both would give me a WMS a few inches wider than the 14bolt. Dont need to make a decision right away, just need to make sure that decision making process doesn't slow me down.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
My buggy uses an 05+ Super duty. I picked up the later model year factory 1550 shafts and I'm running Branik 35-spline drive slugs. Local machinist redrilled for 8x6.5, but I've seen people selling simple templates and drilling them out themselves.
I forgot about that 1550 factory shaft upgrade...that definitely tips the scales a bit for running the 05+. I was going to waterjet a template at work to redrill hubs myself.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts