Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Things have been slow...summers get busy but still plugging away. Been trying to finalize location of things (fuses, relays, shifters, gauges, computer, etc), rough dash layout, and start working on some of the interior panels so I can decide how I want to route wires/cables. I'll get updated pictures soon.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
PITTER>>>PATTER!!!!!

I use to hate doing wiring...but I kind of don't mind it these days. Look forward to the pics.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Worked on some more cardboard aided design tonight to close off the firewall. Really wish I hadn't added the x-bracing in the chassis cause it's making the interior awkward and difficult to close in... but I know it adds a good deal of stiffness to the chassis.

Voswitch will run fans and accessories, waterproof pdc's will house all the fuses and relays for engine, trans, fans, and accessories. I'll add some kind of dash panel above them. Engine computer I think I'm going to put in the passenger side footwell.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Should have added....I think I'm going to use 20ga stainless for interior/exterior body panels. Seems like a good balance between strengthen and weight. Probably do something thicker for floor pans. Why stainless? Because we stock it at work and I can use it as I need it instead of buying whole sheets of something else.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
So far it hasn't been to much of an issue but time will tell.

Reworked my CAD...like this much better. Hoping to get some more sheet metal sheared at work and set in place this weekend.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
wow! Lots of progress. Looks great. I wish I had the hookup for metal :( lol. I have been using 12 gauge and 14 gauge steel because I have A LOT of scrap laying around. Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
My metal hook up and "playground" at work. Unfortunately 99% of the metal we work with is stainless but I can order metal at cost.
We've got waterjet, laser, shear, press brake, lathes, mills, mig/tig.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
Life's been kicking me in the nuts lately but still plugging away. Designed this electrical tray so that I can do the majority of the wiring outside of the buggy. Which has worked out great with the limited free time I have lately. I've been bringing my tools and supplies with me to work and wiring circuits on my lunch break in the back of my Suburban :) This should be all the fuses and relays for the engine management as well as my accessories. Not a fan of wiring but have learned a lot. And nice to do buggy work and not have to shower afterwards 🤣 Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have the basic wiring done, try to start the engine again, and hopefully no wiring mistakes.

Luggage and bags Bag Eyewear Font Gadget

Eyewear Font Bag Rectangle Luggage and bags

Automotive design Electrical wiring Hood Computer hardware Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Thanks!

Wiring is looking good, but since you are using all red, it might be good to use a label printer and cover the labels with clear shrink.

Also, for the panels under the dash, do yo have some drain holes in case water does get in?
Yup that's the plan. I put clear heat shrink on everything as I built them. Once I know it all works I'll go back through and add labels. Might add some solder the crimp connections as well.

The stainless panel this all mounts to is open on the ends so water should flow off of it and all these components are waterproof. There will be dash cover over this so any water that makes it onto them should only be incidental. I'm sure at some point I may have to power wash the interior after a trip but I'll just be careful.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
looking real good. I also hate wiring. It always starts off looking nice....then... "wait, what's this wire? Where does this go? CRAP!" you leave a wire out of the run....fix it...then find ANOTHER one lol. That is why I made my dash the way it is, hides everything!.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Tonight I got the motor started and running off my new wiring. Very satisfying 😁 Just temporarily set things up to do that so now time to really clean up my wiring. No that is not the wiring trays permanent location :ROFLMAO:

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Vehicle

Also picked up a gently used Warn 9.5XP this morning locally off marketplace 😁 Might figure a way to make my own multi mount so I can run it front or rear.
Automotive tire Bumper Tool Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Since cleaning up wiring is one of the next things on my list. Thinking of using these two products to create new wire harness....wrap with tape and cover with braided sleeving. Thoughts?

·
Low Range Drifter
8,545 Posts
101 - 120 of 122 Posts