Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I’d say that will be plenty stout. People get way too wrapped up in building cages and add weight instead of structural integrity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This chassis is probably going to be heavier than it needs to be. I'd much rather overkill things than injure myself or taco the chassis. And I'm learning as I go, definitely will be able to look ahead and layout out things better in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Where are is your harness bar going? is the horizontal bar it? Red is fine, consider where your shoulder straps are mounting when you do it though.
Planned on the harness bar being the horizontal bar. I should have seat mounts done this weekend. Once I get those set I'm going to start doing some interior work. Guess I'll pull the harnesses out of their boxes and double check that.

Last week was really productive week, added a good amount of tubing to the chassis up front. Hoping for a productive weekend. Should have some updates by Monday :rock:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Trying to plan ahead a little bit as I'd like to get the fuel system back online and be able to fire this thing up. I have little to no knowledge when it comes to fuel cells and plumbing fuel systems.

For simplicity sake I'd like to reuse the stock Jeep fuel pump. I was going to try and get a fuel cell that was designed to be used with Jeeps pumps but not sure I have room for ones I've seen so far. Or do I scrap that idea and do an external pump?

Beyond that not...??? I'm good with researching and learning on my own but not sure where to even start with the fuel system.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would try to stick with an in the tank pump one way or another. They are much quieter and tend to be more durable... there's a reason the factory puts them in the tank. There are several aftermarket solutions available these days to make it easy. Personally I would try to use the stock setup if you want to keep your budget, or look at Aeromotive or similar for the nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I would try to stick with an in the tank pump one way or another. They are much quieter and tend to be more durable... there's a reason the factory puts them in the tank. There are several aftermarket solutions available these days to make it easy. Personally I would try to use the stock setup if you want to keep your budget, or look at Aeromotive or similar for the nice stuff.
Thank you Seth! :thumb:

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
I like running factory pumps/senders. Makes it alot easier to source parts if you have a failure far from home. When I had the buggy I ran a late 90s v8 Ford explorer sender and pump assembly.

Real easy to adapt to a fuel cell.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I like running factory pumps/senders. Makes it alot easier to source parts if you have a failure far from home. When I had the buggy I ran a late 90s v8 Ford explorer sender and pump assembly.

Real easy to adapt to a fuel cell.
I like that logic :thumb: Like being able to head to an auto parts store and get replacement parts.

What kind of seat brackets are those?
My design based on something I saw online. Gives me a few inches of slider action. Probably don't need it but had room for it so figured I'd make them adjustable.

·
Gustafson
9,044 Posts
just add a couple tennis balls youll be good.
Tennis balls inside the tank? What's the purpose of this? (Never heard of this before)

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Is it aluminum?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes. Finally found one yesterday from Boyd Welding that fits in the space I have and looks like I should easily be able to add a Jeep pump/sending unit assembly.

https://fueltankparts.com/collections/universal-tanks/products/11-gallon-18x12x12-aluminum-tank

Why would you need them if you aren't racing?
This. You can add shit later, put it together and worry about it when it's time to worry about it.
Good question :confused: New to fuel cells and learning as I go. In all the research I did about baffling/foam I didn't see many people saying they ran with no foam at all. Safety item for racing but also helps with sloshing and reducing aeration of the fuel. But I see your guys point...if its not broken dont fix it :sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 72 Posts