Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,254 Posts
The design looks good, I'd just add some tubing for more support. I've hit my ram mount a lot on big rocks. Would reallllllly suck to bend the mount and screw up the steering.

Take a look through these builds for ideas: Gallery

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,061 Posts
The design looks good, I'd just add some tubing for more support. I've hit my ram mount a lot on big rocks. Would reallllllly suck to bend the mount and screw up the steering.

Take a look through these builds for ideas: Gallery
I bent my ram mount in Utah, which sheared the ram bolts, which sheared the ram hose fittings, which emptied my hyd reservoir, which left me stranded on the mountain. If you think you "might" bend it, reinforce it in advance.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

My previous comment was ignored, but just as important. A truss over the top of the axle does not keep it from bending front/back. I've bent an axle twice front to back and also popped the rosette weld, which allowed my tube to twist. As long as you are making a ram mount, make it a front truss.

Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,254 Posts
yikes. That would suck hard. I see a lot of builds where its just a 1/4" plate and they are shocked when it bends. That is why I like the DOM that spans knuckle to knuckle to help keep everything inline and hopefully prevent the bending back/forward. I defiantly weld the tubes on all my axles....first thing I ever do before anything.

@xj4life I'd also make sure you full bump the axle to make sure everything clears. I have around 2" before it hits the radiator/grill.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,061 Posts
yikes. That would suck hard. I see a lot of builds where its just a 1/4" plate and they are shocked when it bends. That is why I like the DOM that spans knuckle to knuckle to help keep everything inline and hopefully prevent the bending back/forward. I defiantly weld the tubes on all my axles....first thing I ever do before anything.

@xj4life I'd also make sure you full bump the axle to make sure everything clears. I have around 2" before it hits the radiator/grill.
Exactly!

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
My previous comment was ignored, but just as important. A truss over the top of the axle does not keep it from bending front/back. I've bent an axle twice front to back and also popped the rosette weld, which allowed my tube to twist. As long as you are making a ram mount, make it a front truss.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm all for doing things right the first time. I'm putting a lot of resources into this project and want to enjoy it when its done...not breakdown on the trail. I'll see what I can come up with to add a front truss.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
@JohnnyJ do you like your ram mount/truss? I've got some 2"x1/4 wall tubing. My initial idea was to do something like you have.

I like what I have so far, it's minimal and feel like it's stout. But I'm open to other ideas.
Yes, seems to be holding up well so far. The front bash bar cross piece is 2x0.375 and the sides are 1.5x0.250. The ram mounts to 1/4" plate, and I wanted the bash bar up as high as possible, so I notched out the back side of the tube to make room for the ram mounts. Plans are to add an upper support that ties the bash bar to the truss for reasons white rhino mentions. My thought is to make it dual purpose and create a winch tie down for it. I don't use a winch tie down frequently, but it's nice to have the option.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,254 Posts
I didn't even think of doing a winching point... hmm. May have to. Can think of a few instances where having that ability to pull the front end down would have helped.

221 - 228 of 228 Posts