Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Came across a phrase awhile back on Reddit..."No zero days". Do something every day, no matter how big/small, that moves you closer to accompllishing your goal. So that's what I try and do. It's all work that has to get done eventually so even the smallest task is positive progress.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,655 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 · (Edited)
I'm a little worried about cooling. I didn't have a XJ radiator when I designed the chassis, so I took a guess. I guessed wrong and a stock XJ radiator wouldn't fit. What would fit, what's in there, has less surface area but is thicker. So to me that's more cooling volume. I can't remember for sure but it's something like 20%-30% more, and I'm sure it's more efficient than a stock unit. Fans are 9" and cover a majority of the radiator. So I think I'll be good but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
^^^^ Can you cut up an XJ hood to work? I vote yes for vents, I know I want to add some to my junk.
Possibly. If I do that I want it to look as seamless as I can make it. So if I get to that point and I feel like I can pull that off I might try.

I had planned on using a XJ hood and a narrowed header panel/grill. Still plan on doing the header/grill but not to the point of figuring out how to make it happen.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,325 Posts
I could always cut you an XJ grill out of sheet steel? Then just attach it to the tube..... easy...peasy.... I thought about doing that to my YJ, but was able to get the stock grill to work out by cutting it up. But thats steel and not plastic like an XJ. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
I'm going to try really hard to use factory pieces as I think it looks better (if done right). But my back up plan is to do just that, designing my own grill. I've tried to do it just based on guessing dimension and it never looks right. But maybe if I had some factory pieces to take actual measurements off of I bet I could pull it off.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I'm getting ready to try and figure out where to locate the hydro ram on my front axle (2005+ D60). Anyone have do's/don'ts to share? My only goal at the moment is to keep it as high as possible so its not getting hit or hung up on rocks. Anything else I should consider? Do I want the ram and tie rods as close to being inline as I can with the wheels pointed straight? Any thoughts on off setting the ram to the passenger side instead of centered on the axle?

My first thought was something like this
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

But also like the idea of mounting it off of the truss like this. But not sure if its possible on a standard 60.
Engineering Automotive design Machine Event Motor vehicle

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,266 Posts
As high as possible to be in line, or just below your high steer arms. I say below so you can do double shear. DO double shear!
As close to center as reasonably possible to keep your tie rod linkage symmetrical.
Don't make it a duck bill sticking out. If it gets bent, you are hosed. (literally LOL)
Triangulate your mounting so that if it gets bumped, it has a chance of staying in place.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
As high as possible to be in line, or just below your high steer arms. I say below so you can do double shear. DO double shear!
As close to center as reasonably possible to keep your tie rod linkage symmetrical.
Don't make it a duck bill sticking out. If it gets bent, you are hosed. (literally LOL)
Triangulate your mounting so that if it gets bumped, it has a chance of staying in place.
Appreciate the words of wisdom. Yup, double shear for sure. Going to make my own set of weld on high steer arms. Mount will definitely be a stout unit and thinking off some bolt on armor to give the hose fittings a little protection.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,325 Posts
I built mine off the truss. Thick plate that welds to the top of the truss and the bottom is welded to DOM that spans knuckle to knuckle. I bought Crane knuckles and used their histeer arms.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas

Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

I used DOM tubing. Drilled out the arm and welded it in. Adjusted the height with how much stick out I wanted. I'd love to do it again as I have the mill now where I can drill the hole on an angle. I had to make small miss alignment spacers as it would bind at around 98% lock. Nice thing about having the DOM is when the hole wears out, just grind/cut and weld in a new piece.
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Gas Automotive exterior

Used Wide open design truss and ram mount:

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,266 Posts
@xj4life, @Plato2k5's set up is far better. Your mount is a seat for your ram. His mount is also a truss for his front axle which will help him take forward impact. If you are going to do any rock crawling, you WILL bash into rocks. I'll have to look for some pics of mine or you can look at my YJ or Buggy build threads.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts