Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
[
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What are the lengths of your front control arms? Did the truss help with the swap or did it negate itself when you went to coilovers? Looking to do something similar on my TJ and I like how yours turned out. With moving the front axle forward 4", were there any modifications needed on your steering box?

If I remember right my front arms are 38”. The truss is a tnt truss it has worked out well for me so far. I went straight to coilovers when I swapped the axle as it was set up for them from a previous project. Moving the axle forward originally worked with the box in the stock location. But when I dropped it to its current height it contacts the axle on bumps. I will be moving it and reworking the steering this winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,057 Posts
What are the lengths of your front control arms? Did the truss help with the swap or did it negate itself when you went to coilovers? Looking to do something similar on my TJ and I like how yours turned out. With moving the front axle forward 4", were there any modifications needed on your steering box?
2" is about the most front stretch you can get away with without relocating the steering box. Sinister Fab used to make a decent kit for it. Not sure if they're still around or not.

A little over the top, but you can see here how I went about stretching and clocking mine:
https://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=191457&page=15

·
Registered
949 Posts
If I remember right my front arms are 38”. The truss is a tnt truss it has worked out well for me so far. I went straight to coilovers when I swapped the axle as it was set up for them from a previous project. Moving the axle forward originally worked with the box in the stock location. But when I dropped it to its current height it contacts the axle on bumps. I will be moving it and reworking the steering this winter

Thanks. Makes sense on the coilovers. My biggest hurdle has been finding some axles as I don't want to build them from scratch really. Appreciate the length measurement. Keep us updated as I have been watching.

2" is about the most front stretch you can get away with without relocating the steering box. Sinister Fab used to make a decent kit for it. Not sure if they're still around or not.

A little over the top, but you can see here how I went about stretching and clocking mine:
https://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=191457&page=15
I was under the impression 2" was about the max myself. I was looking at it the other night and I really don't see much more than that. I have read your build thread in the past but I will check it out again. Definitely more extreme than I plan on going but we all have to start somewhere. Thanks :beer:

·
[
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks. Makes sense on the coilovers. My biggest hurdle has been finding some axles as I don't want to build them from scratch really. Appreciate the length measurement. Keep us updated as I have been watching
TNT you can get the truss with all factory mounts welded on it I chose just the truss as it was original going in a ranger.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
Nice progress, cool to see your boy enjoying it with you. Keep us updated, enjoy seeing everybody's progress and then seeing them out and about.

I spent a day with tnt last year on a trip they sponsored outwest. They cooked us a meal, very cool people.

·
[
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nice progress, cool to see your boy enjoying it with you. Keep us updated, enjoy seeing everybody's progress and then seeing them out and about.

I spent a day with tnt last year on a trip they sponsored outwest. They cooked us a meal, very cool people.

Thanks it’s been slow this year as I have had to do some work on my power stroke and it’s still not back together yet but the plan is for it to go back In the shop soon hopefully the first of the year. But I did just buy another project that was too good of a deal to not buy.

·
[
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well I finally got around to working on this thing again. I ended up moving the front axle back 2 inches and getting some high clearance arms. Around the end of august I took the Jeep up to west branch to play a little first time I have had it out in a couple years it’s now on 37’s had a good time playing up in the rocks up there.

I fried the ecu up there as I melted a 02 wire on the exhaust. I got a new ecu and went to the event they held at holly. Detroit 4 fest

As of last week I took it over to my dads to change a power steering line and ended up back halving and stretching it. So now it’s sitting at his house waiting for me to come finish it the plan tonight is to get the fuel cell back in and get a drive shaft made for it so I can take it home and finish a few other things

·
Registered
713 Posts
Looks like you had a fun trip!
The upgrades will be very nice too. A little longer wheelbase is always a big help when climbing, but not so much on Crest over. Im thinking it will help you a ton though.

·
[
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Looks like you had a fun trip!

The upgrades will be very nice too. A little longer wheelbase is always a big help when climbing, but not so much on Crest over. Im thinking it will help you a ton though.

Yeah it should wheel a little netter with the longer wheel base.i might find out but it’s up for sale because I’m wanting to start a new project and the wife said Jeep had to go first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 49 of 49 Posts