Been a slow few weeks. Got hurt at work and I've been off since the 14th with a back injury. Could hardly walk, couldn't stand etc. Finally feeling a little better, but far from right.
So I hooked a switch to engage a second rev limiter and timing retard. Still struggling with pushing through the brakes to launch. I had the switch on the shifter handle. So I had to release the switch and the brake pedal at the same time. That was alot harder then it seemed lol. I struggled through a few launches not timing the release the same.
The ecm needs to see a ground signal to activate the 2nd rev limit, so I wired a relay off the brake light switch to convert the + signal to a - to activate it through a push button. Apparently my LCM doesn't like that. Every time i hit the brake pedal my lights freak out and I can hear a relay in the LCM go nuts. So I'll have to revisit that.
Had to pull my trans out (prior to getting hurt) to replace the TC seal, it was dripping since install. Hopefully that's now taken care of.
Attended a local cars and coffee. Hadnt really driven the car in a few weeks, Felt good to get out in it. Made a few adjustments on the tune. Lowered my wot shift rpm and boost setting so it'll spool faster. Liked the changes.
I think I put 600-700 miles on the car over the course of 3 days. But wasn't without incident. I knew going in that good fuel wasn't easily accessible in the u.p.. 91 was the best 99% of places had. I figured I'd just take it real easy and be fine. Unfortunately my lack of self control got the better of me lol. On the return trip I passed a buddy in his military convoy, and on one of the passing lane stretches I rolled into while driving by his specific truck up to 120 and got some detonation. I developed a misfire about 150 miles from my stop. I drove about 20 miles to the next gas station and pulled off. Removed the plugs and found cyl 7 had the gapped closed. No obvious marks or damage to the strap. I bent the gap back open and reinstalled and made the 150 miles w/o issue. I got home and pulled that plug again and seemed fine. But I got my bore scope out and took a peak in the hole...
So off came the head. No damage to the cyl wall, and no damage to the head. I was amazed. I still had the last motor I ate earlier this year, so I robbed a piston from that and swapped it on this motors rod and reinstalled. All seems good now. Next time I better just detune the tune to be safer and not rely on self control which I clearly have none of lol. I had $80 into the repair mostly just fluids and one head gasket and head bolts.
Buddy did tag me in a ad on facebook for the same motor I run (04.5-06 5.3L). So I figured why not. $200 and another spare on a pallet. I'm still off work due to my back injury so I had nothing better to do with my day. SO I went and scooped it up. Currently I have 2 5.3s, another that I was told was a 5.3 but turned out to be a 4.8 (and has a bad cam lobe and lifter, that was supposed to be a good runner), and parts and pieces from two other 5.3's that were hurt or damaged. All less then $800 combined.
We verified timing on my motor as LS motors are known to have the tone rings slip and give false timing. After verifying mine we found mine was off 2*s. So we revisited the tune and made some adjustments and decided to be on the safe side we pulled a little more timing out just in case I have more self control issues lol.