Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Been a slow few weeks. Got hurt at work and I've been off since the 14th with a back injury. Could hardly walk, couldn't stand etc. Finally feeling a little better, but far from right.

So I hooked a switch to engage a second rev limiter and timing retard. Still struggling with pushing through the brakes to launch. I had the switch on the shifter handle. So I had to release the switch and the brake pedal at the same time. That was alot harder then it seemed lol. I struggled through a few launches not timing the release the same.

The ecm needs to see a ground signal to activate the 2nd rev limit, so I wired a relay off the brake light switch to convert the + signal to a - to activate it through a push button. Apparently my LCM doesn't like that. Every time i hit the brake pedal my lights freak out and I can hear a relay in the LCM go nuts. So I'll have to revisit that.

Had to pull my trans out (prior to getting hurt) to replace the TC seal, it was dripping since install. Hopefully that's now taken care of.

20190606_213731 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
What about adding a small micro switch somewhere along the brake pedal arm similar to the micro switches they use on nitrous systems to ensure full throttle on the carb.

·
Gustafson
9,175 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back, I know back pain myself and it's not fun... Glad to hear you're on the mend.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
2019-07-14_08-45-30 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

Swapped the marauder for the Jeep for the weekend, swapped them back out earlier, promptly blew a intercooler boot pulling out of the lot lol.

Got a new trans cooler today, still fighting higher Temps then I'd like. During install I plan to verify ignition timing.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
The new trans cooler works well, def. keeps the temps in check better.

Took the car on a cruise, joined in with Great Lakes Panthers for their summer meet across the u.p. of michigan. Had a great time and more importantly the wife had a great time.

FB_IMG_1564618311328 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1564285488628 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1564285493549 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1564618290396 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

I think I put 600-700 miles on the car over the course of 3 days. But wasn't without incident. I knew going in that good fuel wasn't easily accessible in the u.p.. 91 was the best 99% of places had. I figured I'd just take it real easy and be fine. Unfortunately my lack of self control got the better of me lol. On the return trip I passed a buddy in his military convoy, and on one of the passing lane stretches I rolled into while driving by his specific truck up to 120 and got some detonation. I developed a misfire about 150 miles from my stop. I drove about 20 miles to the next gas station and pulled off. Removed the plugs and found cyl 7 had the gapped closed. No obvious marks or damage to the strap. I bent the gap back open and reinstalled and made the 150 miles w/o issue. I got home and pulled that plug again and seemed fine. But I got my bore scope out and took a peak in the hole...

190729_174954 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

So off came the head. No damage to the cyl wall, and no damage to the head. I was amazed. I still had the last motor I ate earlier this year, so I robbed a piston from that and swapped it on this motors rod and reinstalled. All seems good now. Next time I better just detune the tune to be safer and not rely on self control which I clearly have none of lol. I had $80 into the repair mostly just fluids and one head gasket and head bolts.

20190729_185320 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

20190730_142847 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

20190729_185327 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

Buddy did tag me in a ad on facebook for the same motor I run (04.5-06 5.3L). So I figured why not. $200 and another spare on a pallet. I'm still off work due to my back injury so I had nothing better to do with my day. SO I went and scooped it up. Currently I have 2 5.3s, another that I was told was a 5.3 but turned out to be a 4.8 (and has a bad cam lobe and lifter, that was supposed to be a good runner), and parts and pieces from two other 5.3's that were hurt or damaged. All less then $800 combined.

20190802_173104 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

We verified timing on my motor as LS motors are known to have the tone rings slip and give false timing. After verifying mine we found mine was off 2*s. So we revisited the tune and made some adjustments and decided to be on the safe side we pulled a little more timing out just in case I have more self control issues lol.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,432 Posts
Have you considered octane boost?

Sledders use it all of the time to keep boosted sleds together. Most people run torco or Klotz.

161 - 180 of 227 Posts