Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
801 - 818 of 818 Posts

·
KOH Jackhammer
3,061 Posts
Not sure why I never clicked on your build before, but appears I've missed out on some seriously nice work and attention to detail. Jealous of your patience and skill set. Wish I had them :sonicjay:. Jeep turned out awesome.
I was thinking the same thing, I've never clicked on it before either,but I think it's the Blurple thing that deterred me. Now it's time to start backtracking through the thread. Seeing that you're in fowlertucky, you're not really that far down the road.
Nice build and look forward to seeing it in person on the trail.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
I was thinking the same thing, I've never clicked on it before either,but I think it's the Blurple thing that deterred me. Now it's time to start backtracking through the thread. Seeing that you're in fowlertucky, you're not really that far down the road.
Nice build and look forward to seeing it in person on the trail.
Thanks! Your TJ has been one of my favorites for a while so if I ever see you around I'll be sure to flag you down:thumb:

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
I haven't posted much for updates lately cuz I guess there haven't been many. I haven't done a whole lot to the Jeep besides drive it on road and off. Hydro assist is still working great, it's still slow with the 4.0L but goes anywhere from the rocks to the highway. Broke a rear shaft on the ledge climb at Bundy, but haven't had any other issues to speak of. I had a spare in the tow rig so it was fixed and back at it in no time. Here are some random pics people have taken.

I had it at Silver Lake this past weekend and had a blast. I've done a bunch of shock tuning and had great success with the latest update. I decided to try out some flutter stacks and made a bunch of my own shims and am very glad I did. It was "good enough" before, but I figured I might as well try and get it dialed in for 5 days of fun. I didn't see anything else out there running faster that wasn't a purpose built long travel or sand car. Ran some hot laps with a few $100k sandrails and got a thumbs up at the end, so that felt good. Launched it way higher than planned a couple times with no issues. Of course no one was around with a camera when I had it 6+ft off the ground, but Sandflix snapped a cool shot of my coming over a roller at about 50mph. I bought a print and digital copy.

My son has pretty much taken it over as his. Any time it's within sight or the garage is open it's all he wants to play with. All the knobs, levers, and bars make it the best jungle gym ever!

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
So, as I thought you were at Silver Lake. I could have arranged getting that glass up to Silver lake, otherwise I don't ever come near you. Sorry Sean.

Jeep looks great. Definitely one of my favorites!
I didn't see the glass listed till I was coming home, so no worries there. I don't NEED it, but my frame and glass are both pretty torn up.

Sweet. Glad to see someone actually tuning in their coilover and not running stock not good for anything valve stacks.
I knew these were way overvalved from the get-go, plus I was a bit oversprung initially. I got the springs a lot better then finally tore into the shocks this spring. I was AMAZED how the valve stacks were set up. Fox, King, and the like at least get them in the ballpark to ship them out. It's like Profender just throws a bunch of every common shim size in there and expects customers to mix and match right away. I'm happy with the design and quality of the Profenders, but the factory shim stack is ridiculous. The shims are all metric, the largest low speed being 38x.4mm on the 2" coilover. There are 7 that size on the compression side and 5 on rebound. 4 of some, 3 of others, etc. Insanity....it's a wonder my shocks moved at all before, I think the fluid was just blasting through the bleed holes! I just took an educated guess, took out about 2/3 of them on both sides of the piston, and made something resembling a pyramid stack. It was a big improvement, but still not as good as I wanted. A few weeks ago I came up with a plan, machined down a bunch of the spare shims to create a more progressive/gradual pyramid stack, then did flutter stacks on top of that to better deal with the low sprung weight and high unsprung weight. I learned a lot about shock tuning in the process and am very happy with the results. The heavy axles still tend to push around the light chassis on some of the bigger stuff, but it feels damn controlled now compared to before. It was definitely a rock crawler masquerading as a prerunner out in the dunes.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·
You run a tk1 sway bar right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Now I run two of them. I had just front before, added the rear(which I already had made mounts for) after softening the springs and valving so much. I have zero complaints with them, on road or off.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Now I run two of them. I had just front before, added the rear(which I already had made mounts for) after softening the springs and valving so much. I have zero complaints with them, on road or off.
That's what I was after. I was looking for another opinion on them before I pulled the trigger and then about 10 minutes after I posted that I found a deal over on pirate for an antirock. Still might consider the tk1 for my front though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #811 ·
They're damn near the same thing, the TK1 is just a bit cheaper if you're buying new. Their new style arms are nicer than mine, but mine still work flawlessly.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,003 Posts
I have a question about the rear wheel well. Did you leave the factory sheet metel and cut the outside right up to it? I want to cut my yj opening a little higher, not sure I want to rebuild the inner portion though.. Mine has about 1 more inch I can remove. The tire gets in there some at full flex.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
So you popped in my build thread and didn't say Hi, so I am going to ask what the deal is with this Jeep. Almost 2 year since last post on it.
:sonicjay: my bad. I read on here more than I post anymore it seems. Not much of anything new on my Jeep, still running and driving. Rarely wheeling. I still cruise around a bit in it but have had too many projects going lately so I never seem to go wheeling anymore. I need to change that soon....or sell it. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to do that even though a more street friendly 4 seater, preferably V8 powered, would get a lot more use. Pretty sure I've been saying the same thing for 4+ years and still haven't made any changes.

I have a question about the rear wheel well. Did you leave the factory sheet metel and cut the outside right up to it? I want to cut my yj opening a little higher, not sure I want to rebuild the inner portion though.. Mine has about 1 more inch I can remove. The tire gets in there some at full flex.
The top of the wheel wells? They're raised as far as they can possibly go without redoing the inners. I ran a weld bead around the seam on the inside where the inners meet the outer and trimmed right up to the joint to gain as much clearance as possible. Needed to weld it because raising it that far trims off the spot welds that normally join those pieces together below the joint. So the bottom of the tube flare and armor is even with the bottom of the inner wheelwell. Works very well, although if you're not running corner guards you'll have to worry a lot more about paint damage and wavy sheetmetal.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
You're welcome.

Oh, and I lied in the other response. It has something a little new.....it's on 40" Toyo MTs and H2 wheels now. Doesn't look much different and I haven't done any real crawling with it to see whether they helped or hurt performance.

801 - 818 of 818 Posts