Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
761 - 780 of 818 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #761 · (Edited)
I'm not so sure I agree. It'll mostly depend on what kind of deals I can find. I have a hard time just fixing an obvious problem when I know the rest of the engine is pretty worn too. I'd want to rebuild the whole thing, at which point I might as well do a stroker build, and it could use a trans rebuild, and next thing you know I'm back into the OCD snowball effect again, the Jeep is in the garage for another 6 months, and I'm spending thousands of dollars that I don't have.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #763 ·
But if the cheap fix keeps it going climbing like a mountain goat then what's the issue? :sonicjay: at least pop the valve cover off before you go doing a motor swap.
In my eyes a motor swap IS the cheap fix.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #764 ·
Looks like I better get to work

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #766 · (Edited)
You pay for the parts and I'll install them....

Technically there is an LS motor in that pic, it's just at the other end of the truck. :sonicjay: I'm hoping that going from a 232k mile 5 cylinder to a 94k miles 6 cylinder will at least make it feel like I LS swapped it.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 ·
That's like an afternoons worth of work. Get going.
I'm figuring on doing it over a weekend or a few weeknights. Certainly nothing crazy though. Gotta weld up the exhaust manifold, swap over flywheel, clutch, water pump, accessories, motor mounts, etc, but nothing crazy. No fabrication required so I should be able to get it done in less than a decade:sonicjay:

·
Simplify...
8,194 Posts
I'm figuring on doing it over a weekend or a few weeknights. Certainly nothing crazy though. Gotta weld up the exhaust manifold, swap over flywheel, clutch, water pump, accessories, motor mounts, etc, but nothing crazy. No fabrication required so I should be able to get it done in less than a decade:sonicjay:
Got that thing in yet, Sean? Damn, you work slowly. :teehee:

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 ·
Got that thing in yet, Sean? Damn, you work slowly. :teehee:
No, not yet, I figured I'd meticulously sand down every nook and cranny of the block and coat it with various Eastwood products first.:finger:

I'll probably start on it later this week. Since the Jeep runs and drives I haven't been terribly motivated to tear it back apart.

·
Simplify...
8,194 Posts
No, not yet, I figured I'd meticulously sand down every nook and cranny of the block and coat it with various Eastwood products first.:finger:

I'll probably start on it later this week. Since the Jeep runs and drives I haven't been terribly motivated to tear it back apart.

LOL. Touché.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #774 ·
Just finished reading this thread. Awesome build! I'm jealous of your tools/access to machining and garage. Of course I'm a little jealous of your Jeep too. 'Blurple' is fierce!
Thanks!! My tools and garage are nothing special by any means, I just make do with what I have. I'm good at spending an obnoxious amount of time making something simple look like it was done by something fancy.:sonicjay:

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #776 ·
Translation; I try to stay out in the garage as much as possible. :sonicjay:
I've been a huge slacker lately. I should probably try and finish all the little crap up before I have a kid in May and all my garage time is gone forever.

Just for fun...ghost ride the whip!! I was playing back in the woods the other day and the clapped out 5 cylinder still has enough torque to do a 4 wheel peel with a manual trans and no driver:teehee:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bbajeep/media/VID_20150111_165833264_zps62qnsq20.mp4.html
I'm kinda surprised it didn't eventually pop over the log and drive away

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
Found the source of my "misfire" when I did a compression test tonight. A quick google search told me the spec for a 4.0L is 120-150psi. Mine has 232k miles so I knew it'd be on the low end of the spec. Cylinder 2 thru 6 ranged from 110 to 120 psi, not too bad. Cylinder 1 was 10 psi. Not a typo. Ten. I didn't believe it so I tested at least 6 different times. 10 it is. Now I'm actually surprised it runs as well as it does.

Time for a new motor. If anybody has a line on a good running 98 era 4.0L for cheap please let me know. I'm not gonna mess with this one. I could tear it apart, diagnose the problem, fix it, spend a couple hundred bucks to reassemble it, and still have a tired old motor. It's got a shitload of miles so I'd rather spend about the same to put in something that's ready to go. I have half the parts for a stroker build, but don't have the time, money, or motivation to do that build at this point. I'd ultimately prefer an LS motor anyway, and I sure as hell don't have the funds for that at this point. So yeah, I'd like a brand new used stocker for cheap. I don't expect to find a deal on a stroker but that'd be even better.

As for the cause, I suspect either blown head gasket or warped head. It blew a radiator hose and overheated shortly before I originally tore the Jeep apart, so maybe it got damaged then. I thought it ran fine after, but maybe I didn't drive it enough. I haven't driven it a ton since finishing it, maybe 200 miles, but it seems to be losing a bit of coolant so this theory makes sense. Or maybe that's fine and carbon or other debris is stuck to a valve and keeping it from seating fully. Or rust or something is somewhere it shouldn't be from sitting so long. I don't know and don't really care.
Sounds like you need a new/used piston . Keep on jeepin on

761 - 780 of 818 Posts