Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,061 Posts
Thanks. I was afraid that would be the answer. I do need to get some pics, but its not real pretty, that is a goal this winter to dress it up a little.

Just got a rock auto (like anti-rock) sway-bay from bbaxj, that should help street driving manners going to the dq.
Rock Equipment:thumb:

Rock Auto = Low price OEM replacement parts
Rock Equipment = Nice custom aftermarket offroad parts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Rock Equipment:thumb:

Rock Auto = Low price OEM replacement parts
Rock Equipment = Nice custom aftermarket offroad parts
Very true. :thumb:

Has anyone had to bend the Al. arms to install them??? I believe I seen that you can get rears that are bent to clear things, so what would be the best way to bend them ~1"??? Or, do I move all the shit out of the way (coils mounts, steering box bolt-heads, inner fenders etc....)??

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hope I'm not gonna hurt them, but a friend of mine works at a shop where they do allot of press and fab work. He is gonna bent them ~ 1.5". Hopefully that works and get me closer to installing this sway-bar.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Bump.:naughty:
:bdr2: I have done a great job of dropping the ball this winter.

It has been sitting in my dads shop since he left for Florida in late Nov.. I put it there so I could clean the shop. The shop is still a mess. So, it won't get much done to it this winter. I'll probably rush the sway-bar install in a couple weeks. :baa:

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Wanted to record some things I have done to this beater over the last 4 years.

1. Mostly it sits while I have been working more than I want and doing that parenting thing (not complaining about that though)...

2. Reworked the front steering to get the steering arm mounted to a hi steer arm.

3. Replaced the rear tj springs with some rear 98 grand cherokee uplander springs. Also installed new 2000 silverado rear bump stops. Did this to reduce the rear sagging it had going on.

4. Numerous other little things like:
A. Try to make tj uppers work on my half doors to run a cj/yj hard top.
B. Install some 98? grand am seats (much more comfy than stock seats).

Looking to try and upgrade the front shocks soon. Would still like to do coil-overs, but will probably be a slacker and do something like a 14" travel emulsion...

I will try to get some pictures up before the next 4 years goes by....:beer:

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
A small update. Only took ~ 10 years, but we just updated the rear axle from a spool to a lunch box locker.

Intitial thoughts are that it will be way better for turning and less obnoxious at the ice cream shop. Hopefully the locker will hold up well, that would be the only downfall I could imagine having....

Hope this covid thing clears up soon. Really wanna spend some time jEePiNg this year.

Also wanna through a shout out to Fabricator for changing the gears out for us. I really appreciate his help.

·
Gustafson
9,290 Posts
I forgot how sweet your rig was! Glad to see you are working on it again! :rock:

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I forgot how sweet your rig was! Glad to see you are working on it again! :rock:
Thank you sir!!! There are many nicer rigs out there. But, I am proud and happy to have this one, it works for what I do with it. The only thing that would be nice is if it was a 4 door, but I may not be willing to beat on a 4 door like I do this one...

:beer:

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Some notes to post for the future.

The jEeP got used more this year than probably any other.

1. The locker works great and really improved the driving manners.
2. Broke a lower coil spring off the front axle while getting some air at silver lake.
3. Sway bar arm feel off while out wheeling. Lost one of the bushings, so I just ordered some 3 inch dia. delron to make a new one.
4. Flopped it on its side a few weeks ago out having fun with it. Picked a shitty line going down a drop off and the tire slid in to a hole. Probably would not have happened if my sway bar had not broke an hour earlier? Luckily nobody was hurt and the jeep is pretty much unharmed as well.

Really wanna get some cosmetic shit done on the front clip this winter. But, snowmobiling and fun might take a priority?

Also, I am on the look out for coilovers and air bumps. Maybe I will just buy new when the time comes if I do not find some good used stuff?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
All the fun you had this year and no pics!?
I suck at posting pics. I also post from my pc most of the time while my pics are on my phone.... sorry. :(

61 - 73 of 73 Posts