Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not an electrical wizard, but this should be REALLY simple...yet it is kicking my arse. 1994 YJ and what I think is a TJ soundbar with dome light.

I bought a used soundbar. Cut the pigtail off. 2 wires were for each speaker and I spliced in and wired them up and got them working GREAT. 2 wires were for the dome light. I extended them down to a switch I bought and installed in the dash. Power comes from my fuse box via a connector that also powers my stereo face (and the stereo face works fine). My Fluke tells me that it puts out 12.48 volts DC. Enters the switch on the (+) connection and leaves at the "accessory" connection. Goes up to the dome light, and returns down the other wire to a ground that I have hooked up many other electrical grounds (so I know it is a good ground). The switch has an LED so it has a ground wire connection which I also ran to my common ground.

When the switch didn't light up I checked the bulb to find that...there was no bulb. So I put one in. But still no dome light and no lighted switch. When I crimped the wires in I made sure to give them a tug to make sure the connections were good. But all I can think of is that one of my connections is bad. I have a lighted test probe. I could poke the wires around various connections to see if I have power continuity but I would like to ask for any other suggestions. This is the first time something like this hasn't worked for me right off the bat.

Suggestions? Or is my wiring and plan of action good?

If it works right I should be able to flip the switch and turn the dome light on for as long as I want. And the switch's LED should light up too.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Ok, hook the test light to a known good ground. Pull the light bulb out of the dome light. Then flip the switch and put the test light on one of the prongs for the dome light. If it does not light up, then you are not getting power up there. Check for power coming out of the switch the same way at the acc connector.

If you are getting power up there, then you are prolly not getting ground.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got power to the switch but nothing out...no matter what position the switch was in. So I returned that switch and got a new one. Installed it and everything works fine. So now I have a dome light anytime I flip the switch...sweet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts