Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other nite I shot some rustoleum primer through the spray gun. It is all dry now and it seems to scratch fairly easy. Just wanted to see if this was normal or not?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so it is supost to come off when i take my nail to it? I used it because i had it laying around and wanted to see how it worked. I might scrap the idea, but i wanted to do a cheap paint job.

One arm steve - I'm going to the paint store later today. I'll see what they have to offer.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
allrite good. I also know that primer is not seal proof :thumb:

Since i have never painted befor ... with a gun

How many layers of primer should i lay? 5-7? Than how oftens hould i wetsand...after every 2?

Also do you know if you can spray an acrylic paint over enamal primer?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be that the paint was old or got to cold over the winter??
it is older.... has sat outside.....

Like i said i may just strip it. Its on my YJ grill. Start over again> I don't wan't to get it all painted to find it flaks off when a branch brushes against it.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
It doesn't matter how many coats you put on it as long as you can wet sand it before real paint and not hit metal. A couple coats is usually enough because it goes on thicker. You can paint acrylic over enamel.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wan't to do this paint job on my entire jeep for cheap. I do not want to spend $300. I'm gonna goto the paint store later tonite and talk with the guys on the PPG stuff. I'll let ya know what i find out.

thanks guys!

·
8,046 Posts
Tractor paint works well. Cheap and easy to use. Plus very durable. I'm sure someone can give more info than I can on using it.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm well i just wet sanded it all with 600 grit and it seems like it stays on good. I'm down to bare metal in some spots so i'm gonna shoot mabey 4 more layers than wet sand again. I have time :)

I just don't wan't a nice paint job costing over $300 as its going to get scratched. Also when it does, i can just touch it up much easier with spray bomb.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Rustoleum in general scratches very easily, and it's oil-based, so you can't top coat it with Krylon (you'd need to stick with Rustoleum or similar topcoat). Why risk putting all this time into something using old, crappy primer? :poke:

Craig

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it dosn't anymore since i wet sanded it. I think just the overspray and top powdery layer was comming off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts