Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 PSD no start

-10 below

cranked this morning, batteries completely died.

replaced batteries AND starter relay today and still no crank no start.

jumped the starter with key in start position, cranked a few times, then no more crank, no start, just "clunks" out at fender mounted starter relay.

has good voltage to the starter and good voltage to relay.

any ideas would be helpful, Im not a diesel mechanic.

·
Grumpy Grampa
2,435 Posts
Do you plug in the block heater or park inside? Diesels don't like cold. Might help. Also might be having a problem with the starter.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry its on a heater but thats not keeping it from starting

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
sounds like a bad ground or weak cable

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
2000 PSD no start

-10 below

cranked this morning, batteries completely died.
how long did you crank before the bats died?

replaced batteries AND starter relay today and still no crank no start.

jumped the starter with key in start position, cranked a few times, then no more crank, no start, just "clunks" out at fender mounted starter relay.

has good voltage to the starter and good voltage to relay.

any ideas would be helpful, Im not a diesel mechanic.
see red above

Are you saying that the motor will not turn over when you turn the key, or it will turn over and just won't fire?

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see red above

Are you saying that the motor will not turn over when you turn the key, or it will turn over and just won't fire?
turned over approx 6 times.

I knew the batts were shitty, so I replaced them today.

Still no crank, no fire, no roll over, no nothing, just the sound of the starter relay on the fender clunking.

It DID roll over when I jumped the starter terminals on the starter, for a few times then just freewheeled.

I am 88% sure the starter is wasted.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
turned over approx 6 times.

I knew the batts were shitty, so I replaced them today.

Still no crank, no fire, no roll over, no nothing, just the sound of the starter relay on the fender clunking.

It DID roll over when I jumped the starter terminals on the starter, for a few times then just freewheeled.

I am 88% sure the starter is wasted.

sounds like the starter, and those aint cheap

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
weak batteries/low voltage will kill a good starter, I would check the grounds and cable to the starter though, if it cranked when you jumped the solenoid that would indicate a voltage problem or bad solenoid in my opinion. Clean all your battery terminals just for the fun of it too!!!

·
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
15,002 Posts
Its your glow plug relay. mine went just after xmas, would crank and crank but wouldnt fire. I took a jumper cable and jumped the leads on the glow plug relay, waited 30sec and it fired right up.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Its your glow plug relay. mine went just after xmas, would crank and crank but wouldnt fire. I took a jumper cable and jumped the leads on the glow plug relay, waited 30sec and it fired right up.
He said it would not crank :fish: most likely starter like stated above or possible a bad connection at the starter

·
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
15,002 Posts
He said it would not crank :fish: most likely starter like stated above or possible a bad connection at the starter
:blah::blah::blah: im retarded and dont read good.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
just make sure your cables from the bat to the starter and bat to ground and engine to ground are not corroded and have good connections

1 - 16 of 16 Posts