Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple weeks ago on Xtreme 4 x 4. At least I think it was Xtreme 4 x 4. One of those sat/sun shows on SPIKE TV. Ian was using an attachment that converted a powerwasher into a wet sandblaster.

"As seen on TV" it looked like it worked pretty good.

Anyone ever use one ? How did it work ? Where did you get it ?

Have some HP60`s and such that I`d like to clean up :naughty:

·
HAND-ME-DOWN Racing
1,130 Posts
From what I know about pressure wash I would hope and believe the abrassive attachment would be at the end of the wand. If not it would destroy the pump, wand and, orphice tips.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that was on muscle car
Thinking you are right TT.

Isn`t that the same show where he showed off his new, homemade windsheild removal tool ?

The sand attachment was on the wand. Ventrui action draws the sand into special wand and then blasts it with the water.

So one wants sand in there pump:naughty:

·
Yikes!
1,416 Posts
From here:

WARNING: To reduce the risk of injury, always protect eyes and face with goggles and mask, and hands and arms with heavy work gloves when spraying abrasive materials.

Place the sand blaster induction probe in the sand supply container.

How To Sandblast :

1. Connect and open the water supply line before starting the pressure washer.
2. Trigger the gun to relieve the air in the equipment.
3. Start the pressure washer. See its instruction manual.
4. Trigger the gun to activate the spray.

CAUTION: Always test spray on a scrap of similar material first! The high pressure spray could damage the surface if the sandblaster is held too close. See step 5 below.

5. To check the distance you will need to hold the spray nozzle from the surface, start to spray at the scrap of material from a distance of several feet. Gradually move closer, checking frequently to see if the high pressure spray is damaging the surface.
6. See the application below for the type of sand recommended for your work surface.

Always point the nozzle downward when not spraying. This prevents water from entering the sand supply. If water does get into the sand supply hose, remove the probe from the sand, hold the gun trigger open, and let the hose air dry. Always be sure the sand hose is dry before using.

Keep the sand covered to prevent the overspray from wetting the sand. Do not allow small pieces of the sand bag to fall into the sand supply. A smaller piece could prevent the flow of sand.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
That would be pretty cool. My dad bought a powerwasher from the girlfriends dad but the pump is shot. Just need to get the pump rebuilt and it should be good to go. Then I could start blasting shit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From here:

WARNING: To reduce the risk of injury, always protect eyes and face with goggles and mask, and hands and arms with heavy work gloves when spraying abrasive materials.

Place the sand blaster induction probe in the sand supply container.

How To Sandblast :

1. Connect and open the water supply line before starting the pressure washer.
2. Trigger the gun to relieve the air in the equipment.
3. Start the pressure washer. See its instruction manual.
4. Trigger the gun to activate the spray.

CAUTION: Always test spray on a scrap of similar material first! The high pressure spray could damage the surface if the sandblaster is held too close. See step 5 below.

5. To check the distance you will need to hold the spray nozzle from the surface, start to spray at the scrap of material from a distance of several feet. Gradually move closer, checking frequently to see if the high pressure spray is damaging the surface.
6. See the application below for the type of sand recommended for your work surface.

Always point the nozzle downward when not spraying. This prevents water from entering the sand supply. If water does get into the sand supply hose, remove the probe from the sand, hold the gun trigger open, and let the hose air dry. Always be sure the sand hose is dry before using.

Keep the sand covered to prevent the overspray from wetting the sand. Do not allow small pieces of the sand bag to fall into the sand supply. A smaller piece could prevent the flow of sand.

Yeah I saw that.

But does it work or is it another cure for baldness ?

·
Yikes!
1,416 Posts
I have one of those cheap sandblasters that siphons the sand out of a bucket. Replace the air from a compressor with the water from a pressure washer and I don't see why the concept wouldn't work.:confused:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
What type of nozzle is used the factory pressure washer? mine has a small suction tube for low pressure application of soap etc but it only works at low pressure. It is a small diameter as well so I cannot imagine it pulling up alot of sand. All gravity fed sand blasters work this way but they have a large hose and obviously don't use water as well.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
More power behind the stream with water. My pressure washer is + 1,000 psi my air compressor puts out 110.

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
Keeps the dust down :thumb:

You have to buy the wand that goes on your washer that has a suction tube right at the end of it. Seemed to work well.

John- Need to clean that 70 :miff: , although it is mostly hacked up now :sonicjay:

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
i dunno, my little gravity feed jober works just great for getting down to bare metal. also, after im done, I just wipe it with alcohol, and hit it with primer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts