Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
may be helpful info to have somewhere if people are considering t-case gears/axle gears etc. also state if you run it on road and how it does at highway or near highway speeds. (tire size also)

currently i am stock everything so i have nothing to contribute cause mine doesn't run.

i plan to do 4.10's toyota axles with 6.5:1 t-case gears in samurai with 35" tires

·
Registered
115 Posts
gear ratio's

My DD is running 4:30's from a 95 Tracker that had an automatic trans. The 5:12's are waiting for warm weather, all stock gears in transfer case with a 5 speed.. The 94 Sidekick hasn't been driven YET.. It's all stock gears and such, just a 3 inch body lift 1 1/2 spring boosters and 31-10.50 tires

·
Registered
69 Posts
95 geo tracker auto with 5.13 gears in the axles and a 4.24:1 reduction kit in the t case. its off road use only. running 31 inch tires and homemade lift kit. does pretty good it 2wd but 4 low in 1st gear it runs 3000 rpms and the speedo doesnt move. if i put it in drive i hit 3000rpms at 15 mph. does really good in the mud so far just need a new motor to really find out what it will do.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Samurai

3.73 axles
4.16:1 tcase
31's

do drive it on the road often, could be lower.

so i guess that gives me a 56:1 overall ratio...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
izook.....GROUCHE

the one in my avatar has 5:38's and a 6.5to1 tcase and 32x11.5x15 swampers
about 50 mph tops with a tailwind :sonicjay:
1600 8 valve supercharged sami trans and airlockers

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have 2 samurai/tracker based rigs they have really similar gearing both have dual transfer cases (modified tracker as ft case& stock samurai as back case)when I do the gear math I dont get as good a result as a set of transfer case gears would get me but I like to build my rigs out of what I have rather than what I could buy(more time than money)
95 tracker 4dr 4spd auto :
1st gear2.826 to 1 X tracker t/clow 1.82 to 1 X sami t/c low2.268 Xrip4.62 to 1 =finaldrive ratio53.5 to 1
spitfire samurai frame 16v 5spddual cases
1st gear3.65 x 1st t/clow1.82 x2nd t/c low2.268 xrip 3.54=final drive ratio 53.4
stock samurai
1st gear 3 .652 xt/c low2.268 xrip 3.73 =30.7
my tracker stock:=23.7
crazymays 77 tracker would have 61.5 to 1 which is probably more desirable than my
53.5 to 1 but I have a bunch of gearing oprions plus i like the bewilderes look when someone notices 3 shifters:sonicjay:

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have 2 samurai/tracker based rigs they have really similar gearing both have dual transfer cases (modified tracker as ft case& stock samurai as back case)when I do the gear math I dont get as good a result as a set of transfer case gears would get me but I like to build my rigs out of what I have rather than what I could buy(more time than money)
are you using a RingR or other vendor type setup? or something custom?

the elusive suzuki dual case setup haha

some boards guys are talkin 200+:1 ratios not being low enough... i say B.S. my toyota had ~80:1 and would crawl everything i had it on (nothing toooooo xtreme, but rocks and stuff out in yellow creek) granted the 22re will pull a little bit more, but i think that sometimes crawl is a little bit overdone just to have web wheel status haha

if i go 6.5's it'll give me 100:1 with an 8v 1.6. i am quite certain that'll get me most places that i need to go, and the hi range reduction should keep it streetable

·
Registered
446 Posts
basically I use a stock tracker case w/the ft output cut off & the hole welded closed and a stock sami case hooked to the rear outputof the tracker case mounted so its lined up straight and a single ujoint jack shaft (basically rearslip yoke sami ujoint flange) this set up gets me to where I am gear wise for cheep even if I factor in value of a sami case
if I put a set of 6.5gears in the sami case Id have 152.8to 1 final drive but Im pretty happy with how my rigs work & Ive got 35"tire on these rigs
I dont need some really outragious crawl ratio either (like jeepman784) but I did need the 2nd case to get the rigs to work w/35sand the 1.6 16v's 4cyl power .I dont really drive either of these on the road but have w/no issues

·
Registered
794 Posts
basically I use a stock tracker case w/the ft output cut off & the hole welded closed and a stock sami case hooked to the rear outputof the tracker case mounted so its lined up straight and a single ujoint jack shaft (basically rearslip yoke sami ujoint flange) this set up gets me to where I am gear wise for cheep even if I factor in value of a sami case
if I put a set of 6.5gears in the sami case Id have 152.8to 1 final drive but Im pretty happy with how my rigs work & Ive got 35"tire on these rigs
I dont need some really outragious crawl ratio either (like jeepman784) but I did need the 2nd case to get the rigs to work w/35sand the 1.6 16v's 4cyl power .I dont really drive either of these on the road but have w/no issues
JUNK!!!!:poke::poke:

·
Registered
527 Posts
93 tracker 8 valve
auto trans
31/10.5/15
5.12 diffs
stock transfer case
locked front and rear
I have to run low lock for best offroad performance
also have header and intake