Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pricing is $100 to $400. Dimensioning seems inconsistent. Some give ujoint to ujoint while others give overall length. The inexpensive ones usually give the least complete technical info.

Looks like I need ujoint to ujoint 51" compressed to 70" extended, 1-3/8" 6 spline on both ends. From the parts I have the OAL would be roughly 56" and 75" respectively. Compact tractor so #3 or #4 or 12 or 14 sizes should be strong enough. Current parts have 1.063 cap with 2.5 span cap to cap with 1 x 1.125 rectangular slip.

This one looks like it may work, but they want $44 for shipping! PTO Shaft-PTO Shafts | Agri Supply 89799

Any recommendations were to get the lower priced ones? Being able to buy it over the counter is a big plus.

Anything else to look for or to avoid?

Thanks for any help.

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Have you checked TSC, Family Farm & Home, or Rural King? They carry that kind of stuff, not sure what the in-store selection is like, but they have websites and you can order to home or ship to store also.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,623 Posts

Looks like the one you posted doesn't have the splined end for the tractor pto? This one from TSC should work, though I notice it's $100 more than the one you posted. I just buy TSC ones as they work well and seem the last (as long as I don't forget they're on, and bend them.....)

The TSC in Alpena generally always a selection of PTO shafts in stock, and lots of parts. I would assume almost all of them are like that as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked TSC, Family Farm & Home, or Rural King? They carry that kind of stuff, not sure what the in-store selection is like, but they have websites and you can order to home or ship to store also.
Yes to all. I was going to repair the shaft, but have no suitable tubing and to buy tubing now is crazy expensive. Then saw the female end of the shaft on sale for $30 and figured sweet all is good. Well come to find out the existing shaft is an oddball combination of sizes that won't interchange with what parts are currently available, that I could find anyway. Rural King's 14006455 @$156.97 looks like it might work and the shipping is only $14. Is the Weasler brand any good?

Looks like the one you posted doesn't have the splined end for the tractor pto? This one from TSC should work, though I notice it's $100 more than the one you posted. I just buy TSC ones as they work well and seem the last (as long as I don't forget they're on, and bend them.....)

The TSC in Alpena generally always a selection of PTO shafts in stock, and lots of parts. I would assume almost all of them are like that as well.
The one I posted should have both ends 6 splined. The one you posted seems to have the (more common?) round smooth coupler on the implement end. Since the existing shaft is an odd ball, swapping couplers doesn't work since the ujoint sizes are different.

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Sorry, that's the extent of my knowledge on them. I haven't shopped for them or experienced different brands, just listed a few places I've seen them. I'm new to the tractor thing and don't have any rear PTO driven implements yet.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,623 Posts
Yes to all. I was going to repair the shaft, but have no suitable tubing and to buy tubing now is crazy expensive. Then saw the female end of the shaft on sale for $30 and figured sweet all is good. Well come to find out the existing shaft is an oddball combination of sizes that won't interchange with what parts are currently available, that I could find anyway. Rural King's 14006455 @$156.97 looks like it might work and the shipping is only $14. Is the Weasler brand any good?
The one I posted should have both ends 6 splined. The one you posted seems to have the (more common?) round smooth coupler on the implement end. Since the existing shaft is an odd ball, swapping couplers doesn't work since the ujoint sizes are different.
Ahh ok, I didn't realize both ends need to be splined. I only use the splined end for the pto on the tractor and the smooth bore with a pin for the brush hog. I'm not real versed with post hole diggers, but what brand is it? I feel like the you might just be time a head to get the one from agri-supply; shipping seems expensive, but that's a big pto shaft

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea of brand (its not mine). No worries, thanks for responding guys. This PTO shit is like having to learn a whole different language. North American square, rectangular, hex or splined shaft. German Metric lemon or star shaft, Italian Metric bell shaft. Series 4 cross kit, 12 series bla, bla, bla, lol.

Neapco actually makes PTO shaft parts too, but not the yoke and tube I need: a Weasler 11001260 which costs almost as much as a entire new shaft assembly coupler to coupler.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I have used a PTO Slip clutch as a adapter from toothed to smooth shaft to allow for easier replacement down the road, the clutch has its +&- but it worked well for me, I now run the same size shaft on the hog and the digger. Makes it easy to have one in stock when I kill one.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,737 Posts
I've found that TSC doesn't have fuck all to rebuild shafts, unless you have a left handed, polish-metric. I had good luck with Family Farm and Home. That being said. Depending on the shaft go over OAL and cut down the shaft with a sawzall or grinder.

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
I've had luck finding what I need between TSC, Family Farm and Home, and Blain's (I think there is only the one in Jackson, it's a Wisconsin chain). The problem is that you pretty much have to go and look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts