Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever repaired a poly kayak? Ours has developed a small pinhole in the stern where the boat has (stupidly) been dragged over concrete over the years.

I found repair material, but don't have the "welder" which you can buy for $70. Any alternatives so I don't have to buy that thing?

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Has anyone ever repaired a poly kayak? Ours has developed a small pinhole in the stern where the boat has (stupidly) been dragged over concrete over the years.

I found repair material, but don't have the "welder" which you can buy for $70. Any alternatives so I don't have to buy that thing?
I would clean the inside over and over and over and just use a 2 part epoxy. Issue is the epoxy won't flex well, but hopefully it is in the steep "V" portion that doesn't flex much.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would clean the inside over and over and over and just use a 2 part epoxy. Issue is the epoxy won't flex well, but hopefully it is in the steep "V" portion that doesn't flex much.
It is in the steep portion, I've read that it's really hard to get anything (including epoxy) to stick to them though.

Thanks, found that too. I read closer and see that they do have a "heat a drill bit" method if you don't want to buy the welder. Some other people heat a spoon with a lighter heroin style. I think adding more plastic is the best way to fix it, and I can build that abrasion back up.

·
WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROT
2,981 Posts
heat gun and putty knife

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had the same issue with one I picked up for my son last year. Chances are if you have a pinhole the rest is worn thin and needs built up. I would check with some local kayak rental places and see if the can do it for you. That is what I did and it was cheaper and he built the keel area up that was thin. Most rental places in my area do this repair on a regular basis. If you do do this repair yourself 5 gallon buckets use the same type of plastic and are a good source of plastic.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
If you do do this repair yourself 5 gallon buckets use the same type of plastic and are a good source of plastic.
cool idea. You could also practice on the bucket before you burn a huge hole in your kayak lol

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the same issue with one I picked up for my son last year. Chances are if you have a pinhole the rest is worn thin and needs built up. I would check with some local kayak rental places and see if the can do it for you. That is what I did and it was cheaper and he built the keel area up that was thin. Most rental places in my area do this repair on a regular basis. If you do do this repair yourself 5 gallon buckets use the same type of plastic and are a good source of plastic.
Good idea on the livery, thanks. Yeah, I was planning to build it back up if I did it myself. You are right, a lot of it is worn down. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts