Police Can Guess Whether Drivers Are Speeding

3K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  Paul04TJ 
#1 ·
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23946753/detail.html
Police Can Guess Whether Drivers Are Speeding
Police No Longer Need Radar Proof

POSTED: Friday, June 18, 2010
UPDATED: 10:46 am EDT June 18, 2010

A new warning to Michigan drivers going through Ohio.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that police in Ohio can legally issue speeding tickets if they think a driver is speeding.

In a 5-1 ruling, the court said "a police officer's unaided visual estimation of a vehicle's speed is sufficient" as long as the officer is sufficiently trained and experienced in estimating speeds.

The ruling came when an officer on radar duty stopped a motorist for driving 81 miles per hour in a 60 miles per hour zone.

The judge dismissed the case when the officer couldn't produce his radar certification in court.

The judge did not agree that he could make an estimated guess.

The court now says police officers can estimate someone's speed and pull them over accordingly, although, radar evidence is better.

Michigan does not have plans to change their standards at this time.

See less See more
#4 ·
I was under the impression too they could tail a car and use their speedometer.

If this is used for 5-15 MPH over the limit, there's no way an estimation can be accurate.

Someone doing 120 MPH in a 70...well there are already reckless driving laws for that one which don't need exact speeds.

#5 ·
"Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" "Neither do I. Here's your ticket, chickenfucker."
I heard a ridiculous story a little while back, this guy I talked to got a ticket for doing an insane amount of speeding in a Dodge Ram, I think a diesel. Anyway, the judge asked him how it was even possible to go that fast in that vehicle. I think he got a ticket for doing like 150 or so. He said the truck was in the air.
The judge looked at him and asked how that happened. Apparently they were doing something with this truck they built in his driveway and were testing something, so they put the truck on jackstands and jacked it up. A cop rolled up, took out his radar gun and pointed it at the tires or whatever, got that reading and gave them a ticket for it. The judge let them go and had a talk with the cop haha.

#19 · (Edited)
so it is literally the officers word against yours, with no way to prove anything either way...guilty until proven innocent...better hope you dont piss off a cop by doing anything they dont personally like (like standing up for your right to not incriminate yourself by not speaking to him), you'll get a huge speeding ticket if they cant find anything else to cite you for...this is a complete crock of shit

#20 ·
Ditto...I would also take that ticket to court and drill the cop in front of the judge (Exactly how fast was I going officer?) (You have me on radar?) (Oh your taking an educated guess!) I would then throw something like an ink pen to the back of the court room and ask the cop how fast it was going...I don't see something like this standing up in court!

#22 ·
I was just down in Ohio 2 weekends in a row. I guess they're really in the dump for revenue. They had on the news that OSP would pull people for 5 and under now.

I was getting passed doing 70 down the Ohio Turnpike and passed a hand full of cops just sitting there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.