Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a pole barn builder in the Central/SE MI area they'd recommend? Or for that matter, one they'd recommend avoiding? Please and thank you.

It's on my to-do list sooner than later. Not sure if it'll happen this year between wait lists and material prices, but I won't know till I ask. I'm having the shell built and concrete poured by the pros, I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself even remotely efficiently. I'll do all the electrical, insulation, interior, driveway, etc, etc myself once the structure exists. I'll do the majority of site prep as well. I'd prefer to use a builder who specializes in pole buildings, not a general contractor/construction but I'm all ears if someone gives me a reason to consider others. I figure this is probably a good group to ask!

Recommendations I already have:
Burly Oak Builders (used by TopTruk)
Joel Hoose (used by JohnnyJ and Kickstand)
Hagler Construction (recommended by snocross2extremes)

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are welcome to stop by and check out my barn if you want.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Much appreciated. I've talked to Chad quite a bit about his and he highly recommends Joel. I tried calling Joel but no answer and VM was full, so I'll have to try again. Chad's the one who told me Joel built your barn too.

bob-barn.com on your list seems to build most of the stuff around here.
I'm sure they do plenty since they're based out of Chelsea and seem to be a reputable outfit. One of my close friends has a barn they built and it looks top notch. I've got a message into them, we'll see if I hear back.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,373 Posts
Much appreciated. I've talked to Chad quite a bit about his and he highly recommends Joel. I tried calling Joel but no answer and VM was full, so I'll have to try again. Chad's the one who told me Joel built your barn too.
When I was going to put up my barn, all local answers came back with Hoose. I have been super happy with the barn. Chad came over to look at mine before he built his. I remember the first time I talked with Hoose and he asked the size and I said 30x60. His response was "oh, just a small barn".

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
I know plenty of other people that seem to have found cheaper, but only one person I would recommend but they're a bit far away.

I'm kind of over the idea of pole barns because now that I'm seeing pole barns where the poles rot off that I was there to witness being put in the ground as a kid, I'm not sure they're meant to be where there is water and ants. Granted, I'm approaching old people status that it won't matter because I'll be dead by the time it becomes an issue, I just prefer stick built if you're pouring concrete anyway. Few courses of block and it doesn't ever burn from the welder, mice climb in, or rot.

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know plenty of other people that seem to have found cheaper, but only one person I would recommend but they're a bit far away.

I'm kind of over the idea of pole barns because now that I'm seeing pole barns where the poles rot off that I was there to witness being put in the ground as a kid, I'm not sure they're meant to be where there is water and ants. Granted, I'm approaching old people status that it won't matter because I'll be dead by the time it becomes an issue, I just prefer stick built if you're pouring concrete anyway. Few courses of block and it doesn't ever burn from the welder, mice climb in, or rot.
Burly Oak isn't the cheapest, even my friend who used him said that, but he had justification for the cost adders and they were all value-added features. We'll see if I can get a call back from them though, nothing yet. I need to keep trying Hoose to see if I can get an answer since VM was full.

I've looked at pole vs stick built. There are benefits to stick built, but nothing great enough to justify the cost increase for me. I don't expect this to be our forever home. We're not going anywhere anytime soon, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this, but I don't expect to be living here if and when rot becomes an issue in 30+ years.

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
In theory they should hold up better. My uncle built his using home-made laminated treated 2x10x20s in the 90s by Sanford Lake because poles cost more back then and he didn't want round ones. But he sold it so I don't know how it is doing.

I always wondered about sheer strength on poles like that where they are pieced together like brickmold. I have a LVL of 14" of 2x6 that is a header in my garage that seems to be great.

I have an entire trailer load of LVL made from 2x and some engineered (plywood) 16-22' long that I bought at auction to build a boat carport that I haven't gotten around to. I'm pretty sure I'm fine with it but I'm always nervous about wood near water. In the olden days (say, 40 years ago) when treated wood was treated wood... I didn't worry about it. The modern crap... less impressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts