Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade to a bigger new-ish-kinda sportsman. Sold the old xplorer 300, and I want to replace it with a 500 or 600 sportsman. Looking for 2003-2008 something like that.

There is not a whole lot for sale on craigslist, found a 600 that was in Cheboygan but I couldn't get to it till tonight, and it sold yesterday.

Budget is about $3,500

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Looking to upgrade to a bigger new-ish-kinda sportsman. Sold the old xplorer 300, and I want to replace it with a 500 or 600 sportsman. Looking for 2003-2008 something like that.

There is not a whole lot for sale on craigslist, found a 600 that was in Cheboygan but I couldn't get to it till tonight, and it sold yesterday.

Budget is about $3,500
there was a nice one on CL marketplace. Have you searched there? If not I can try to find it. Are you looking at other makes/models?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
there was a nice one on CL marketplace. Have you searched there? If not I can try to find it. Are you looking at other makes/models?
I haven't, what's that?

Not really, I would consider something else if it's a good deal, but I like Polaris

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at a 2009 sportsman 500 HO, any input? Looks like a good quad, and the price seems fair. Doesn't come with anything, just the ATV. But it would be nice to have a newer reliable quad to have for the extra.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 HO. I have had great luck with mine and put a 1000 miles a summer on mine the first 3 years of owning it. I'm surprised me how much snow it will move and have never needed chains. I've definitely put mine through some stuff and haven't had a problem.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 HO. I have had great luck with mine and put a 1000 miles a summer on mine the first 3 years of owning it. I'm surprised me how much snow it will move and have never needed chains. I've definitely put mine through some stuff and haven't had a problem.
Yours is a carb, right? I don't see that they made an HO with EFI, least in that model year.

Kinda wanted EFI, just for ease of use; but I really liked this quad. Don't think it has a winch on it, and doesn't come with a plow or anything; down sides. Winch is easy enough to find and put one on, and a plow isn't necessary since I have a 60" on the 550.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump.

Might be able to bump my budget to 4,500

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought an 08 sportsman 800 HO EFI on Saturday.

So far, I like it a lot. Hard to get used to from being used to a 2014 550 with EPS. Much more power right off the get go.

·
Gustafson
9,183 Posts
Bought an 08 sportsman 800 HO EFI on Saturday.

So far, I like it a lot. Hard to get used to from being used to a 2014 550 with EPS. Much more power right off the get go.
Pics?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is actually the only pic I have right now lol. Took on at the gas station in Birch Run; the wife and I stopped fuel and I snapped a quick picture.

It came with an extra set of wheels and tires, plus the aluminum ones that came stock on the 800s, and a glacier 2 plow. I like to plow setup, much simpler than my cycle country on our 550, but it doesn't seem as heavy duty. Has the front and rear brush guards; I'm not a hug fan of the rear one, but being a 2008 not sure what I can find for alternates. I'm having trouble finding rack extensions and other accessories that fit on this quad. Any idea on if polaris made things to lock into the metal rails on the back rack? I know you can use some lock and ride stuff

Took it for a couple rides out to camp. Much different to get used to, like I said. Just dropped it off at a local small engine shop to have it completely gone through; I know it needed an oil change, and I want all the joints and bearings to be looked at as well.

Ran in to a snag on the title for it; I didn't pay attention to when I got it, but the people that have bought/sold it never got a new title for it, instead they filled out the sections on teh back for dealer only. So I need to go to teh SOS and fill out some form saying that it's mine...etc...should have paid more attention. Either way the VIN is clean, so at least it's not stolen :sonicjay:

....or at least, not reported stolen :nana:

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Things gotta be a powerhouse. Nice. How does it ride?
It's got some go-pedal; I found that out when I tried to drive it like my 550. Night and day difference; couple that with semi-wet/froze ground and I now have two big skid marks in my yard :(

Very fun, hard to get used to ride that hog without power steering (maybe i'll spring for the kit to put on it). But it actually rides very nice, it's 770lbs, only like 30lbs heavier than our 550; much better than the old xplorer 300 at the least lol

I've yet to find the limit of the current '14 550 EPS, so I'm excited to put this 800HO through some work to see what it's capable of; my guess is, a lot. I trail ride a lot, but i'm not a "gotta go fast" person; I enjoy just cruising on trails, could care less if I get there in 30 minutes or 15. I do enjoy the rumble of the 800 twin though; sounds mean

This one came with the front and rear brush guards; not a huge fan of them, so I think i'm gonna get some steel and just build my own. I really like the Bison front guard on the 550, but they don't make it for an 08; so I may build a copy-cat one; same for the rear. Probably just add steel to the current tube bumper on it now.

·
Gustafson
9,183 Posts
It's got some go-pedal; I found that out when I tried to drive it like my 550. Night and day difference; couple that with semi-wet/froze ground and I now have two big skid marks in my yard :(

Very fun, hard to get used to ride that hog without power steering (maybe i'll spring for the kit to put on it). But it actually rides very nice, it's 770lbs, only like 30lbs heavier than our 550; much better than the old xplorer 300 at the least lol

I've yet to find the limit of the current '14 550 EPS, so I'm excited to put this 800HO through some work to see what it's capable of; my guess is, a lot. I trail ride a lot, but i'm not a "gotta go fast" person; I enjoy just cruising on trails, could care less if I get there in 30 minutes or 15. I do enjoy the rumble of the 800 twin though; sounds mean

This one came with the front and rear brush guards; not a huge fan of them, so I think i'm gonna get some steel and just build my own. I really like the Bison front guard on the 550, but they don't make it for an 08; so I may build a copy-cat one; same for the rear. Probably just add steel to the current tube bumper on it now.
X2 this is me as well. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
They say the 500 was the most reliable atv engine Polaris ever built.

4500 will but you in a newer 570 or possibly new leftover 450 or non-eps 570. I bought a new 570 touring with eps in January and put 700 miles on it this year. I love it, but it took some time to get used to the larger size of it on the trails after riding a 400ex. It has nuts and will move, but most of my riding is 50" trails so I'm usually going slow. But, the power is there.

I left it up north for the winter and put a plow on it so mom can do her driveway.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They say the 500 was the most reliable atv engine Polaris ever built.

4500 will but you in a newer 570 or possibly new leftover 450 or non-eps 570. I bought a new 570 touring with eps in January and put 700 miles on it this year. I love it, but it took some time to get used to the larger size of it on the trails after riding a 400ex. It has nuts and will move, but most of my riding is 50" trails so I'm usually going slow. But, the power is there.

I left it up north for the winter and put a plow on it so mom can do her driveway.
I didn't want to expand my price range any higher than 4,500; that was already more than I even should have spent; but I think I got a good deal on the 08 800. Took it to my small engine guy; he said everything looked good, ran good, no issues with it. With teh plow and extra set of tires, i figure I ended up paying 3,300 for it and $500 for the extras. I'm good with that.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the 800 and 550 downstate and went riding in Lake County over the weekend. First impressions are the 800 is just a beast; my buddy was riding his '18 450HO, and it couldn't hold a candle to the 800HO. However, the 450 was much easier to handle and more comfortable to handle going on winding trails. However, the 800 does has some POS junk foam, weird handlebar grips that are slicker than snot on ice, so anything you'd turn the grips would just slide on the bars.

I almost think that the 800 is too much power in an ATV. If you were just on really sandy terrain then yes, the power would be great. But for semi-packed trails and anything like it, almost anytime you hit the go pedal it just spins the rear tires cause there's so much power and not enough traction to grip it. ended up riding the whole time in AWD, which isn't bad or anything, just an observation. It feels physicall smaller, or at least narrower than the 450HP and our 550; it does turn a lot better than the 550 with EPS though.

New grips are on order, some LED lighting is on order, and then gonna figure out how/where to mount the aux lighting. Will still take some getting used to, but so far, it's a fun quad to ride. I want to take it o silver lake next year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts