Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it because of the name?

Every single thing I read dealing with hemi's, is that you can have more power with 1/2 the price tag by dropping in a SBC. Let alone, parts availibility.

I had a Hemi in my dodge, and it wasn't overly impressive compared to the ford v8's. What am I missing? Is it just the bling factor of saying "I have a hemi"?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
cuz you can........i know one or two people that do certain things, not so much out of need or function, but simply........cuz they can.

i suppose if you have the money for it, then more power to you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
IDK.. having 400+ horse easily while being able to shut down 4 cylinders on the freeway is kinda nice.

But I really think people get Hemi's for the name. Its a legend, people like legends.

-Brandon

·
KOH Jackhammer
3,061 Posts
maybe because its just the way it should have been done from the factory.
It's not like there are any major modifications that have to be done to get it to fit and work. It's basically a wiring harness issue, once that's resolved you're good to go.
Besides 345hp versus 205hp with only a 57lb weight gain isn't too bad.

Plus, Chevy's in Jeeps...it's been done a thousand times over, why not something different.
just my opinion.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
the one shop out in SD that was doing them was touting that the hemi conversion only added 68lbs over the stock drive line. the Jeep folks couldn't produce them because they could never pass crash spec as the engine eats up the crush zone in the front. but yes a 345HP hemi would do well in a Jeep. a standard `80s SBC is around 160-180 HP as compaired, you have to add mods to make it the Hemi's equal.

·
5,820 Posts
the one shop out in SD that was doing them was touting that the hemi conversion only added 68lbs over the stock drive line. the Jeep folks couldn't produce them because they could never pass crash spec as the engine eats up the crush zone in the front. but yes a 345HP hemi would do well in a Jeep. a standard `80s SBC is around 160-180 HP as compaired, you have to add mods to make it the Hemi's equal.
you guys are reading into the hemi hype too much.... a stock (345hp)5.7L "hemi" puts about 240hp to the wheels :tonka:

ask dline how much work it takes to get one to put out as much power as an ls2/ls6... its not worth it if you ask me a 6.1L probably would be though.

a 5.3L is cheap and delivers just as much power, a 6.0L is about the same price and will have quite a bit more power.

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
Why not a GM 5.3?

People are paying a premium for the name "Hemi". The reality is that the Hemi is considerably cheaper to manufacture.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you guys are reading into the hemi hype too much.... a stock (345hp)5.7L "hemi" puts about 240hp to the wheels :tonka:

ask dline how much work it takes to get one to put out as much power as an ls2/ls6... its not worth it if you ask me a 6.1L probably would be though.

a 5.3L is cheap and delivers just as much power, a 6.0L is about the same price and will have quite a bit more power.
That is what I don't understand. A hemi is not only much more expensive, but the money/output is way off compared to other alternatives.

You can purchase a a ram jet 502 for the same price as a hemi. And that thing would make the hemi look like a 4 banger..

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
The prices will come down as more of the motors are built and people iron out the "roadmap" of installing them. They'll drop further when the newer one comes out soon, also. Its just still too "new".

The MDS functionality is nice, but I don't think that's what is attracting the custom builders.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
you can get an used 5.7 hemi on ebay for around $1500.....mine put down 270 to the wheels stock now it puts down around 340 as it sits on the street. after cam, headers, heads, computer tune etc..... now its at its melting point, a 6.1 short block will be going in soon, which can be had for $2300.

my truck does get better gas mileage now with the heads.

if i could do it over again, i would've started with a 6.1 hemi. (for 5-6 grand)

and theres nothing wrong a 4.0L I-6 in a wrangler.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Gen III/IV chevy motors are the way to go. Get an aluminum block 5.3 and you'll SAVE weight over a 4.0 liter, and still make 300+ hp.

I prefer the GM transmission options and aftermarket parts, compared with chrylser stuff, which you'll pay out the butt for.

The 5.3s have proven to be VERY fuel efficient on the trails and on the road.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
you can get an used 5.7 hemi on ebay for around $1500.....mine put down 270 to the wheels stock now it puts down around 340 as it sits on the street. after cam, headers, heads, computer tune etc..... now its at its melting point, a 6.1 short block will be going in soon, which can be had for $2300.
Yeah, but you can get a 5.3 for $650-$750..

1 - 20 of 112 Posts