Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your bored at work I have something for you to do :sonicjay:

We are planning to take a trip out west and makes stops at Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. We will be traveling in the F-350 with the truck camper and have no set route. I would like to go the right direction but the quickest way doens't matter . . . .

Becasue I would like to do as much sighseeing as possible!!! and this is where you guys come in. What silly, fun, interesting places are on that route?

I would imagine that a few of you have taken this trip before let me know of all the awesome places that you've visited. :woot:

I'll be leaving from Cincinnati, OH.

Thanks,

Drew, Bobbie, Cannon, Jade and Dixie!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
going "out west"..does that include southwest like arizona, new mexico or are you staying on a more northern route?

·
I like trees
5,795 Posts
Are you married?

·
Banned
20,292 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think just the Nothern Part this trip. Maybe hit Vegas and visit some friends at the half way point.

Bobbie is the wife, the rest are dogs . . . . but I don't know if all three will go or not :sonicjay:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you plan to come through the minneapolis st paul area, I can help with stuff to do around here. If you plan to stay for a bit we can get a :brilliant too!

Also, the time of year would be good, things to do vary based on season.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
The Minneapolis zoo is pretty good. I was hoping to make a trip out west this spring with the camping trailer, but a cousin emailed me this morning, she has a condo on "ilsa something", off Cancun. :(

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I love Yellowstone. Stay in Cody and take a detour north and go through the Bear Tooth Pass. You can enter Yellowstone from the north gate.

I could seriously spend 2 weeks out there alone.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Wall Drug ftl. Ignore the "wall drug, 500 miles" signs. Badlands are certainly FTW!

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are planning on a two week adventure sometime in april or may. We have the heater in the camper if its too cold (and ofcourse direct tv :teehee:)

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
We are doing a trip at easter to Devils Tower, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore and [sigh] probably wall drug as well :sonicjay:

If we had more time I would add Yellowstone then loop back through CO but that time of year with a family it could be a little difficult.

·
expert jeep disassembler
8,005 Posts
i have never been to yellowstone but i have spent alot of time in colorado. if it was me and i wanted the scenic way to get from yellowstone to vegas i would head back east a bit and down 25 into colorado and take 14 through fort collins into the mountains. go to walden and head south. around walden you will probably see a bunch of moose and possibly some elk depending on what time of the year it is. it will take probably an hour and you can get into the rocky mountain national forest. there is a couple big elk herds you can see up close. the last time i was there the bulls were in rut so they were bugleing, it was a sight to see! after you get out of that you will be heading east and that will take you through loveland. i would hop on 25 and head south through denver. go west down 70. that will take you through all the ski areas and eisenhower tunnel and all that stuff. when you hit glenwood springs stop at the brewpub. they have some phenominal microbrews and really good food. after you go through grand junction you can go south and go through moab. if you have never been there it is something you have to see. some of the sweetest rigs known to man all over the place. also i forgot if you are going up 14 there is a place called lake agnus. you have to hike in a ways but it is a snowmelt lake with a water fall going to it. it is pretty cool! also when you are going through cameron pass there is a sharp corner. stop there and get out of the truck and look down the hill. there is an old 1940's-ish car that has been down there for years that is stuck in the trees, the rest area just east of that there has been a moose hanging out in the swamp every time i have been out there. if you decide to go down through there let me know, i can point you in a direction to alot more cool spots to see.

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
Do the Crazy Horse Monument near Mt Rushmore, but see Mt. Rushmore first.

Both are incredible in different ways, Crazy Horse monument is a REALLY interesting story and is still in process. I wish we'd seen the laser show at night, but we didn't stay for it.

Also x2497284 on the Badlands as well. :rock:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park. Agree on Cody, Wyoming, we visited the rodeo there and had a great time. Yellowstone is a great place to visit as well.

Badlands are nice, there is a KOA right in the park you can stay at. Corn Palace on your way out or back. Interesting place.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park. Agree on Cody, Wyoming, we visited the rodeo there and had a great time. Yellowstone is a great place to visit as well.

Badlands are nice, there is a KOA right in the park you can stay at. Corn Palace on your way out or back. Interesting place.
Careful at that koa. When we stayed there we were literally breathing mosquitos. The people at the state park looked like they were having no issues.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
yellowstone sounds like a trip all of its own. Id be more than happy to spend a couple weeks in that region. I envy you cheifwoohaw

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
I recommend Crazy Horse monument along with Mount Rushmore. I recommend going into the Black Hills of South Dakota-visit Deadwood for 1/2 a day. Then continue west and visit Custer Battlefield in southern Montana. From there go to Yellowstone and be sure to check out the Bighorn Mountains before or after you go to Yellowstone. While in Cody, Wyoming check out the firearm museum. Some beautiful country.

Of course, pretty much anywhere is better than that shithole state you live in.:teehee:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts