Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to plating the landscape trailer I bought last year. Can't find the bill of sale, and it needed some work to get it back on the road so I figure I'm going to plate it as home built.

Do I just need to get this weighed or should I write up a bill of sale as well?

·
It's got a HEMI!
6,563 Posts
All you need is a weigh slip from a commercial scale and then go to the SOS and tell them you built it from parts on hand that way you don't have to pay sales tax. I build trailer on the side and do this all the time. Never been questioned

·
FORMER BULLET CATCHER
10,279 Posts
Got a plate laying around? Just use it. Nobody checks anyway.
This, I use one plate between a pop up camper, boat, jet ski trailer, quad trailer.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,782 Posts
Honestly I thought I was the only one. We got one on a lightbar that gets swapped around alot.

·
It's got a HEMI!
6,563 Posts
The cops do check the plates and will stop you if its the wrong plate. It's a $100 ticket and if the cop wants to be a dick about it they can impound the trailer and everything on/in it.

I borrowed a trailer and the plate was way to light for the 2 place gooseneck I was pulling. So I found out the hard way because I didn't ask for the registration for the trailer before I took it. Also you are supposed to have the registration whenever you pull a trailer even if it's your trailer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I still have a plate/reg from my dads old boat trailer that makes its rounds. It's registered as a 1973 trailer unknown :nana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts