Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if they allow pit bikes at Silver Lake? I kinda doubt it, but it's worth a shot. I mainly ask because I plan to take mine up over Labor Day, but don't wanna leave it sitting at the campground. It'd just be strapped in the back of my truck, but I imagine in order to go in with it there I'd need a flag and sticker on it, in which case I might as well see if I can get a paddle tire and ride it out there. Is that allowed, or just no little bikes period? I've only gone a few times and don't remember if there were little bikes around or not.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
It's a pretty small (and crowded) parking lot I wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Put some paddle tires on it - you will be buried up to the knees with sand in that thing. It will look like you are riding on top of the sand:tonka:

Seriously though. Doubt you will be able to get far in it. You can bring anything you want into the dunes with a flag that is able to hit the bar at the entry.

·
Yooper In Training
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as power, I doubt that'll be an issue......125cc, 7-8hp, and 150lb +rider. Not too shabby. The size would make it pretty much worthless though. A 14" front and 12" rear tire aren't gonna do much, even if I throw a paddle on the back. I'm sure it wouldn't be good for much but the parking lot or beach.....neither of which I spend much time at.

You can bring anything you want into the dunes with a flag that is able to hit the bar at the entry.
Exactly what I was looking to find out, thanks.
I'm more concerned about being able to take it in there than how it would perform. I just don't wanna leave it sitting at the campground to get stolen. It's worth buying a $15 flag to keep from having the bike disappear. I imagine I'd need to rig up a spark arrestor for the thing too, wouldn't I?

Here's another question: Does the bike have to have an ORV sticker even if the truck it's riding in on already has one? I assume so, but it's worth asking.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
just chain it up at the campground ...
depends on where you are camping but almost anywhere i have stayed plenty of places to chain it up

·
Yooper In Training
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sound wouldn't be an issue. The spark arrestor I imagine I'd have to take care of and should be able to figure out a way.

·
sie sehen mich rollin ...
3,316 Posts
it would run down the beach just fine
yeah and the DNR would be running right down the beach after you :sonicjay: ...absolutely no motor vehicles allowed on beach.

and before the peanut gallery chimes in, the dont care about remote control stuff, just motor vehicles that carry people :stan:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Like not on the beach - he likely meant that strip in the back.

There is a performance shop just before you go into the ORV parking lot - they will have everything you need. Spark arrestor and ORV sticker - you will need both to bring it in.

It will need to meet the sound requirements and as you stated likely not an issue.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,158 Posts
Like not on the beach - he likely meant that strip in the back.

There is a performance shop just before you go into the ORV parking lot - they will have everything you need. Spark arrestor and ORV sticker - you will need both to bring it in.

It will need to meet the sound requirements and as you stated likely not an issue.
David Allen Racing.

·
Skinny Pedal Crawler
2,193 Posts
pitbike on the dunes....mmmmm....all i can think to myself is"why" just my opinion...have fun with it though!!!

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
As far as power, I doubt that'll be an issue......125cc, 7-8hp, and 150lb +rider. Not too shabby. The size would make it pretty much worthless though. A 14" front and 12" rear tire aren't gonna do much, even if I throw a paddle on the back. I'm sure it wouldn't be good for much but the parking lot or beach.....neither of which I spend much time at.

have you ever been to the dunes?

I would be amazed if the bike made it up the entrance drive

1 - 20 of 40 Posts