·
You Can't Fix Stupid
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF was this guy thinking???

http://blog.mlive.com/saginawnews/2007/08/pilot_hungry_so_copter_lands_a.html

Pilot hungry -- so copter lands at Meijer
Posted by DEAN BOHN August 17, 2007 09:10AM
MIDLAND -- A hungry helicopter pilot may have slurped free refills on his drink, but the parking fee may cost him $500 and 90 days in jail.

Meijer Inc. employees at the Midland store, 7300 Eastman, called police when they saw a helicopter land in their parking lot at 12:20 p.m. Thursday, said Deputy Chief Robert D. Lane of the Midland Police Department.
Police arrived and found the chopper -- empty.

After a short wait the pilot, a 54-year-old Metamora man, and his passenger, a 40-year-old woman of Lapeer County's Addison Township, sauntered back.

Police aren't releasing the names of the couple, who originally told police the helicopter was experiencing mechanical problems.

When police said they would call a Federal Aviation Administration mechanic to clear it for flight before it could take off, "they changed their tune and admitted they were on their way to Traverse City and stopped for lunch," Lane said.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
the damn airport is across the street from the meijer

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
But its fair week I can't blame the guy for not wanting to cross Eastman Road!
ha. In that case I would avoid the whole north side of town

·
Chrome Trucker Chicks Rul
3,217 Posts
so there is some sort of law about where you can land helicopters????

A guy lands his in a field next to a restaurant on occasion by my house. never thought it was illegal

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
It's Meijer the only thing worse would be landing in a Wally World lot. They probably have procedures on file to deal with insane helicopter pilots.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
BFD, Those parking lots are so oversize he probably had plenty of room to be safe. If it's who I think it is, it was an ex-military Cobra. He owns quite a few of them and is a very experienced ex-military pilot. People don't get all pissed off when some other yahoo lands his Jet Ranger at the Bullfrogs in Ortonville (with an idiotic 30 ft clearence from vehicles and road). They actually thought it was so cool they had a picture of it in the newspaper and did nothing but hype his actions. Sounds as though it's blown way out of proportion. However, he should have never claimed malfunctions of his ship. That was stupid.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Midland was actually formed when the Nazi regime fell apart, not really, but Midland has some pretty strict city ordances, and that is why they were making such a big deal about it, I don't think its such a big deal out in the country, but he was in the city limits, I have seen private helicopters in a bar out in the county and they never got in trouble, the newspaper said it was because they did not have permission and there was a city ordance from landing wherever you want

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Kinda funny. Apparently it wasn't who I thought it was but was (by description of the helicoter) probably the same one that flies into Bullfrogs. City ordinance for helicopter landings? How do they have the authority to overstep FAR's. Seems like a lot to ask of a pilot. You'd have to have a hell of a memory to know all the ordinances of every city, town, village and county that you fly over. Sounds like a lot of political BS. I'd be curious to hear the comments of the Feds about such an ordinance. I'll bring up the question with my inspector on his next visit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts