Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This CJ was originally put together for trail use back in 98 and was a complete ground up restoration with every single nut, bolt, gear etc replaced.
The fiberglass body has held up very well and will be reused as well as the fuel injected 304, TH400, Dana 20 with Tera Low. The Dana 44 axles have been sold as well as the spring over suspension.

I am building a new frame and using a Dodge 60 front and 14B rear with SAW 2.5" Air shocks with long arms using Johnny Joints and heims. Full hydro steer with a 5:13 gear in the axles. It will sit on 39.5" Iroks with my current Champion Beadlock wheels.

A couple of pics of the new frame rails, 2"x3"x1/8" and a before action pic

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Some scanned pics of what it was when I started on the first build back in 98, notice the old pics as we did not have a digital camera back then.

This pic shows my frame in the foreground and Nick's in the background (aka Hillbillydeluxe) first Jeep I worked on for him, see build thread "new customer build" http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=93513 for the second one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What a great trip down memory lane. Its funny how sweet we thought our jeeps were way back then, now look what we have come to..... 1 ton drivetrains, complicated linked suspensions with air shoocks, fuel injection, 40"
tires..... most of that stuff was unheard of on a jeep. It was a simpler time for sure.

·
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
15,016 Posts
i like old timey pics, is it the angle or is that engine stand tilted a wee bit.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
If your looking to have some one off - one of a kind stuff, I have someone in mind. :teehee:

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ordered my rims today:woot: High Impact ftw

changed from converting to 5 on 5.5" to some 8 lug 17x9 with a 5" backspacing that will allow me to keep the 14 bolt full width and still fit inside my enclosed trailer.

And I am ignoring you Ryan, at least until this is done

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
:(

I like the wheels minus the chrome center cap.

H1's :finger:

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First pic is the axle and frame brackets for the lower control arms and the 2"dia x 3/8" wall DOM for those lower control arms. The frame brackets still need to be bent to a 90 along the thin lines shown in the pic.
Tab cut these out on his CNC plasma table.

This one should be obvious as it is one of my 2.5" Sway Away Nitrogen air shocks.

Parts are accumulating and starting to stack up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
are you done yet!

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got a little farther on the frame and tore into the assembled Jeep, still waiting for my Johnny Joints to arrive to start the suspension.

Gears and lockers are here, rims were not the right backspacing so they are building me new ones and shipping them out on monday.

still need to sell the old beadlock rims and get my hydro steering on it's way

Frame is 2" wider than stock and front frame connector is also going to act as the bumper for all practical puporses. There will be some tube work on the front but not alot.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts