Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've sworn to never use fuel cell foam ever again. It's bitten me bad, twice.

I've been looking around for everyday products I might be able to use, and it looked like PET plastic is fairly chemical resistant, and it generally listed as fuel safe at room temperatures, however it is not for elevated temps, which could reduce the life of them within a fuel cell. So be it, maybe I would just have to "replace" all the pop bottles once or twice a year.

PET is a common plastic for transportation of chemicals (yes, pop is a fairly corrosive chemical). I've submerged PET plastic pop bottles, juice bottles, liquor bottles, etc in gasoline for extended periods of time, with no effects; again all at room temp. I've put gasoline in a PET bottle on a shelf for over a year and the only plastic that changed property was the cap (not sure if the cap is PET or not).
For reference, PET is designated by the number "1" in the plastic recycle symbol.

Here are some documents also showing PET resistant to gasoline, petroleum, alcohol, etc.
http://www.curbellplastics.com/technical-resources/pdf/chemical-resistance-plastics.pdf
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/chemical-resistance-polyester-d_784.html

So today I finally had a KISS moment. I was thinking what other easily available products transport chemicals and I have an AL pop can on my desk... They're light and free. Why don't I just poke holes in them and stuff them in my fuel cell? Would they create a static charge from friction when plastic wouldn't?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,482 Posts
Excuse me for being the dumbass but what is the goal? What would putting a bunch of bottles or cans do in a fuel cell? On top of that, I guess I've never tried to understand what a foam filled fuel cell does.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excuse me for being the dumbass but what is the goal? What would putting a bunch of bottles or cans do in a fuel cell? On top of that, I guess I've never tried to understand what a foam filled fuel cell does.
keeps fuel from sloshing in a fuel cell (which has no internal wall baffles, just a big plastic container). In go fast rigs, it keeps all the fuel "planted" (or atleast slows the movement) so that the fuel pickups don't suck air during cornering or off camber in trail rigs. The high dollar solution is multiple in tank pumps with multiple pickup points that have anti-air suction pickups. It gets pricy. I'm aiming to just have one external pump and one pickup with the new "budget" project.

technically, I think baffles are also required to pass tech, although I have never heard of it actually being checked.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think PET bottles create much static charge on their own (but I might be wrong). I know that they do transfer and hold static charge, but thats no different than a lot of materials (even metals). The static charge in the link you provides was due to the manufacturing of the bottle itself, not self induced.

The other option is just buying All Tech's baffles, but that would run me about $240 (30 gal cell).
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/miscellaneous/1097875-alltechs-4x4-fuel-cell-baffles.html

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you'd have to be pretty specific with the holes and patterns on aluminum cans... You could fill it with stainless steel shavings or ball bearings :sonicjay:
large open holes are fine. I figure there is already a hole at one end for the tab. 2 additional holes opposite of each other at both the top and the bottom would drain most fuel out of the can at almost any angle.

·
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
6,801 Posts
I know that some fuel pumps and filters are made from acetyl but most of the ones I see have a grounding pin on them. Most of those are grounded because they are for in-tank applications and the fuel running through them creates a static charge.
For fuel resistance, that would be the material to use. I'm not sure if they would cause a static charge just bumping around in fuel though. You'd have to research that.
As for an every-day cheap product that you could drop in there- again, you'd have to research.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Or I can start hunting for HDPE bottles (labeled "2" in the recycle symbol). I just don't know what usage they have, but I will start looking around.

EDIT- hmmm, it appears that some laundry detergents and shampoos are shipped in HDPE and not PET. I didn't realize that. That might be more common than I think.

Hell, just buy them new for these prices https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin19.html

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,482 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the description. I thought the foam was a tech item and didn't really know what it was for. How about whiffle balls that are small enough to fit in the fill tube?

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha. Thanks for the description. I thought the foam was a tech item and didn't really know what it was for. How about whiffle balls that are small enough to fit in the fill tube?
that used to be the cheap way to do it, until wiffle balls started to be made of really crappy plastics. Finding a HDPE wiffle ball is nearly impossible now. I remember on pirate that if someone found them at walmart, etc, he would buy their entire stock and resell them on pirate lol

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts