Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed people cruising around on main roads on scooters without helmets?

I see quite a few people on them up here and cops aren't pulling them over, and I know it's a friggin' law to wear one.

Did they get rid of the law or something?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
FYI.. If it is a scooter (49cc or less) and the person is 18yrs or older, no helmet is required by Michigan law.

Ding ding ding!

You win the grand prize!

This only applies if the vehicle is licensed as a Moped/scooter and they are not allowed on certain highways.

·
Registered
410 Posts
FYI.. If it is a scooter (49cc or less) and the person is 18yrs or older, no helmet is required by Michigan law.

Hmmm... if that is true, it should be changed.

About a year ago, some guy ran into my Jeep on a scooter without a helmet... half of his face was bleeding.

My Jeep was a scooter magnet though... 3 scooters and 1 ATV hit it.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Hmmm... if that is true, it should be changed.

About a year ago, some guy ran into my Jeep on a scooter without a helmet... half of his face was bleeding.

My Jeep was a scooter magnet though... 3 scooters and 1 ATV hit it.
ummmmm... You probably shouldn't be driving on the sidewalk then:nana: :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:

·
Registered
410 Posts
ummmmm... You probably shouldn't be driving on the sidewalk then:nana: :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:
Actually only one scooter hit me when I was driving the Jeep, and it was on the road. :sonicjay:

I used to work at a powersports dealer. The ATV was when my Jeep was backed up to the garage door. One of the mechanics decided to launch out of there on it and he hit my Jeep. One scooter was a customer test riding one from the showroom and went right into my Jeep which was parked in a parking space. And the other was some punk kid that always came by trying to buy "performance parts."

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
Just to get you square with the law, you have to 19 years old to not wear a helmet on a 49cc or less. the law is goofy that way.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I had a Yamaha Zuma a few years ago. It wasn't that bad, for a scooter at least. I just used it to ride around town.

No helmet if under 50cc and under 2 hp. My Zuma had 4 hp, but they didn't notice that on the msl at the sec of state. Legally, a scooter/moped isn't supposed to go over 30, but the sos only pays attention to the displacement.

·
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
15,016 Posts
i dont know bout yall, but i always put on a helmet before i let a chick ride the "skooter":sonicjay:

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I am a firm beliver in the helmet law. when i was younger I had an elite 50 moped the front caliper locked up stopping from 45mph sending me over the handlebars smashing my head, breaking a collarbone and fracturing the other I was fucked up. the helmet had som serious road rash to this day I beleive it saved my life.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
yes helmets are here for our safety. I just don't like the fact I am TOLD to wear one. its like being told to wear my seat belt. its all about choices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts