Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will need new windows in the next few years, but there is one I need right now because of a leak. I am going with Pella because a friend of the family is a semi-retired Pella window installer.

What I would like to know is, fiberglass or wood? I was surprised to hear that the fiberglass was $200 more than the wood window, but on the positive side the fiberglass never needs to be painted. Does anyone have an opinion on fiberglass vs wood? I have never replaced windows, so this is all new to me.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,385 Posts
Wood on the exterior?

Definately buy the best you can talk yourself into. It will make you happy and probably come back in ease of selling your home down the road.

·
Are we there yet?
1,993 Posts
I switched out all of our contractor grade windows in our house 4+ years ago to Pella 350 series Vinyl Casement windows.

When we were looking at these, I saw a lot of negative reviews on the fiberglass windows with the Wood and Vinyl being the better reviews. The Vinyl 350 has better thermo ratings and maintence free.

I purchsed from Lowes. They are custom order and they will run 10 or 15% (don't remember the amount) every few months on the Pella line.

We did have one window come that was missing a piece of trim, but pella was easy to work with and they came out and installed the trim without issue.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wood on the exterior?

Definately buy the best you can talk yourself into. It will make you happy and probably come back in ease of selling your home down the road.
I guess I don't understand your question. A wood window is.... Wood. Wood frame, the fiberglass window has a fiberglass frame.

I am not worried about resale. We will be in this house for a very long time. I just don't know performance wise if one is better than the other. Obviously there is less maintenance with fiberglass since it doesn't need to be painted, but will it last 25+ years like a wood window?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depends on the insulation rating. Fiberglass windows are strong and can flex with cold to hot changes, however if core is open vs insulated it will have less r value and this makes a difference when considering your heating method. Im a farm boy and wood windows is where its at when your looking for quality and reliability. This being the case with wood heat as the wood holds the warmth unlike fiberglass or vinyl. when it comes to holes in your house best to spend the extra money as it will give you the best return. Also look for rebates and tax incentives when shopping for windows. but all in alll if it keeps the rain out and you can see through it, it will do. :nana:

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
As a painter I would go with fiberglass. The pella wood windows look great but as you said they would need to be painted.
Pella wood windows are a pain to paint. To paint them properly the window needs to be removed from the sliders and hardware which holds them in place.
If a painter does not coat all the bare wood it will rot.
Go with the fiberglass. I do believe some manufacturerers have lifetime warranty on their windows.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all who replied. Since I am only doing one window right now and it's in a bathroom I am going to go with fiberglass. I will say this, Tempered obscure glass is $$$.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,385 Posts
I guess I don't understand your question. A wood window is.... Wood. Wood frame, the fiberglass window has a fiberglass frame.

I am not worried about resale. We will be in this house for a very long time. I just don't know performance wise if one is better than the other. Obviously there is less maintenance with fiberglass since it doesn't need to be painted, but will it last 25+ years like a wood window?
Sorry for the confusion. Some of the windows in my house are fiberglass with wood surrounds on the inside.

Thank you to all who replied. Since I am only doing one window right now and it's in a bathroom I am going to go with fiberglass. I will say this, Tempered obscure glass is $$$.
You will definitely not regret it down the road. :beer::thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts