Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Das BOOT!
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as some of you know I have removed my E-brake.

E-brake uses gradual pressure to hold the brakes. These are hydraulic and instant using my own 4 disk brakes. So I will use this to hold the Jeep in place

Now is the time to replace it with a Park Loc, Line lock or Dual stick lock. Got any idea's on this?

Park Loc ( I will need 2 of these )

Hydraulic Park-lock uses line pressure to hold your brakes locked. Just push the brake pedal down and push the Park-lock lever. ( Not the be used as an emergency brake )

Line lock ( I will need 2 of these)

Hurst Roll Control keeps your car out exactly where you want it by locking the front brakes. Controlled by a solenoid valve attached to a switch (included) on your shifter, the Roll Control keeps you from rolling by locking your brakes when you activate the push button switch. When you release the switch, the Roll Control instantly releases your brakes as you hit the throttle. The Roll Control comes with a rebuild-able stainless steel solenoid valve, indicator light for your dash, inline fuse holder, and complete instructions. It gives you one less thing to worry about when you're staging or want to hold your car in place.

Billet Turn Brakes

Billet Aluminum Dual-Handle Turning Brakes Race-Proven and tested time and again these steering brakes work with any braking system with no interference to normal braking .

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,457 Posts
I have the park loc like shown in the top pic. Works ok but I wouldn't want to be using it on a hill without the trans in park also. Not sure I totally trust it.

I considered the electric line lock but was advised against it since they are meant for short engagement prior to a drag race. Not something you would engage and walk away from since it could overheat. I have no idea if this is true but it made sense to me & didn't want to waste the money testing the theory.

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
JohnnyJ has something similar to the one in the second pic. After minimal use it doessn't work anymore. I was going to get something like that for mine but steered clear after that. I still don't have a parking brake yet though.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I don't trust any non-mechanical parking brakes at all. My favorite option is a mechanical disc on the transfer case output. Put the rig in 4wanything with one of those and you're using all 4 wheels to hold it still. Its easily visible for inspection, accessed for service, and cleaned. If you want to be fancy, I guess you could put them on both outputs and use two discs operated by the same lever.

I do not like letting the weight of the vehicle sit against transmission components. Its probably just paranoia, but I use the parking brake in every vehicle I drive, putting the vehicle in neutral and applying the parking brake prior to shifting into park every time I stop. It keeps the parking brake mechanism from freezing up, allows you to monitor the condition and effectiveness of the parking brake, and I have coincidentally never had to perform any transmission service (other than regular maintenance) on any vehicle I have ever owned.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
X2. If you don't have a brake line, your e-brake doesn't work either. Nothing like a piece of cable to actuate the brake.
Taking that a step farther, I also don't like the electrically-operated mechanical parking brakes on some newer vehicles. Rover started going to this in all their vehicles and it seems to just be on/off with nothing inbetween. Mine still had the lever.

If your brakes go out while you're moving, would you want to flip that switch or would you want a handle that would allow you to apply braking force as you saw fit?

·
There watching me! (.)(.)
11,461 Posts
I'm running the first one, same brand too. I really don't like having a non-mechanical e-brake but with my axle I have no choice. I would like to have brakes at the wheels because off-roading you can and most have lost a u-joint or driveshaft to make a transfer case e-brake worthless but they do work good.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
PP- Is there a t-case brake kit available for the D300 or is that something that has to be fabbed? I've looked all over for a kit, but the only place that I found with them no longer made them or went out of business.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I would like to have brakes at the wheels because off-roading you can and most have lost a u-joint or driveshaft to make a transfer case e-brake worthless but they do work good.
You would have to blow out both driveshafts at the same time, completely destroy your transfer case internals so that everything freewheels, or shear off your output before the rotor for it to not work (unless you suffer a caliper or cable failure for some reason). All of those scenarios are what I would call some of the "least likely" to occur.

84Scrambler said:
PP- Is there a t-case brake kit available for the D300 or is that something that has to be fabbed? I've looked all over for a kit, but the only place that I found with them no longer made them or went out of business.
I remember discussing this in a thread a long time ago and people posted up links & pictures that I thought included a writeup on a D300 from JU or JeepForums, but it may have been on Misfits.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,457 Posts
The downside to the t-case break is that if you don't have it in 4wd, (thus you have to remember) & are changing a rear tire with an open dif, it can and will roll. By applying a brake directly to the caliper is the best surefire lockup.
Yup, a brake line can be broken too, but then you have bigger issues.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Well, I wish my rig was as awesome as yours that I forget to put it in 4wd when I wheel. :stan: I think that's an "operator error" scenario, not really a funcytional flaw. If people tried to design their rig around every possible "dumbass" scenario, nothing would be good enough. Ever.

If it rolls like that while being worked on, it probably won't ever happen again. That's one of those one-time things that people tend not to forget. :sonicjay:

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
Well, I wish my rig was as awesome as yours that I forget to put it in 4wd when I wheel. :stan: I think that's an "operator error" scenario, not really a funcytional flaw. If people tried to design their rig around every possible "dumbass" scenario, nothing would be good enough. Ever.

If it rolls like that while being worked on, it probably won't ever happen again. That's one of those one-time things that people tend not to forget. :sonicjay:
Plus he has a open rear diff, He is way hardkore :tonka: J/K

I will be happy to have an E brake again with the new axle.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
I don't trust any non-mechanical parking brakes at all. My favorite option is a mechanical disc on the transfer case output. Put the rig in 4wanything with one of those and you're using all 4 wheels to hold it still. Its easily visible for inspection, accessed for service, and cleaned. If you want to be fancy, I guess you could put them on both outputs and use two discs operated by the same lever.

I do not like letting the weight of the vehicle sit against transmission components. Its probably just paranoia, but I use the parking brake in every vehicle I drive, putting the vehicle in neutral and applying the parking brake prior to shifting into park every time I stop. It keeps the parking brake mechanism from freezing up, allows you to monitor the condition and effectiveness of the parking brake, and I have coincidentally never had to perform any transmission service (other than regular maintenance) on any vehicle I have ever owned.

Im sure this is a pita and pricey but the best way. All the big lifts we use in residential framing have the drive shaft disc brake thing for a e brake. They hold like crazy, for days and days.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
where is the cheapest place to buy one in the top pic?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I have 2 of the linelocks like in your top pic. As stated by others, it was good for keeping the jeep still on the trail when we were out BS-ing but I wouldn't trust it on the road as an absolute parking brake, especially if I lived somewhere hilly. Now I have an automatic so I just stick it in Park when on the side of the trail.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,457 Posts

Who says we are on a trail using 4wd when needing a parking brake?:stan:

I don't know about you, but I don't lock my hubs and put it in 4wd when driving downtown to the gas station.:poke:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Who says we are on a trail using 4wd when needing a parking brake?:stan:

I don't know about you, but I don't lock my hubs and put it in 4wd when driving downtown to the gas station.:poke:
So you admit to being so hardcore that you have an open rear in your YJ? :sonicjay:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts