Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on what some opinions, pros/cons, better....etc idea are on airless sprayers for conventional compressor or air sprayers. I currently use a Wagner HVLP sprayer; that has it's own air tube.

I suppose it's not a conventional sprayer, but what about one like this:

I don't see a whole lot of difference between those two other than the obvious hose vs non hose; but neither need to be hooked up to a regular compressor. but what is the main differences pro/con between a regular sprayer or an actual airless sprayer? What's the pro con for them?

The Wagner I have now i've used it for wood work coating, and just used it to spray out deck. Seems to work well, I wouldn't say super, but well enough. Saved a lot of time over rolling or brushing. Granted I'm in no way a professional, and not sure I'm even using a proper "technique" but whatever.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,438 Posts
I bought a Wagner paint gun years ago, and it half assed worked once. I was so annoyed. I spent a bunch of time cleaning it, and it never worked again. My Dad had a similar fortune, so maybe it ran in the family.

I have borrowed and rented commercial quality airless sprayers. I painted my barn with a borrowed unit, and it was very easy to get smooth coverage. The other time we painted our basement ceiling with a rented airless sprayer.

I think I ran about 7.5 gallons of paint on my barn and something like 20 gallons on the basement ceiling between primer and paint. So many nooks and crannies on the ceiling. We were shocked on how much paint it took.

edit: I think the con of an airless sprayer is the cost. Which is why we borrowed/rented.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a Wagner paint gun years ago, and it half assed worked once. I was so annoyed. I spent a bunch of time cleaning it, and it never worked again. My Dad had a similar fortune, so maybe it ran in the family.

I have borrowed and rented commercial quality airless sprayers. I painted my barn with a borrowed unit, and it was very easy to get smooth coverage. The other time we painted our basement ceiling with a rented airless sprayer.

I think I ran about 7.5 gallons of paint on my barn and something like 20 gallons on the basement ceiling between primer and paint. So many nooks and crannies on the ceiling. We were shocked on how much paint it took.

edit: I think the con of an airless sprayer is the cost. Which is why we borrowed/rented.
I noticed that the sprayer seems to take a lot of liquid to cover, though it might also be because it puts less actual paint down versus how quickly it does it. I noticed that I can get a coat on in 1/4 the time of brushing; just it would take 2-3 coats of spraying to get the same as one good brushed coat.

just wasn't sure what the actual differences were between the two types.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
when it comes to deck, shed, or barn I use a pump-up yard sprayer the one you use to kill weeds the thing works great and you can just throw it away at the end of the job. In my basement I used one of those cheep HF sprayers

It did the trick but was a prick to work with and buy the end of the day started getting heavy and a set of ear plugs are a must as the little bastard was loud as hell.

RBB

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
I use a graco airless sprayer 695 for spraying. Depending the on the tip size you can get too much paint on and is a waste. With a 5/15 tip which is a good tip that puts on enough but not too much. The #5 is the spray fan the width you get at 12 inches away, times 2 is a 10 inch wide fan. The 2nd # is the hole size. Most paints and primer you can use with this tip. Backroll and brushing is usually recommended to give you a uniform stipple look. I usually spray the first coat and spray and backroll the second coat. Trim and doors I spray only, no brush or roll.
Depending on pressure you use will determine the amount of overspray you get. Masking and covering up is always a good idea. You'd be surprised how far paint will travel when spraying.
The have fine finish tips which use much less paint. If you have a surface that will not absorb paint like metal of vinyl siding those would be the ones to use.
What is it you are painting?

·
Skymaster
2,530 Posts
I have a titan 440 impact airless sprayer I paid half price new in the box. I've done the inside of my 1500ft2 garage, a fence, and the interior of 2000ft2 house. Works great but the cleanup is a little lengthy. You waste paint priming and cleaning it out. Works great for big jobs but I wouldn't use it for anything less than 5 gallons of paint.

·
Project Antitube
974 Posts
I have both the 570 and the 590. Cheap latex paints, especially outdoor ones, will quickly overheat the piston if the paint is too thick and cause them to stop spraying nice. After a while they flat out are worn out. I think I usually get around 15 gallons out of a rebuild kit if its outdoor latex if I remember correctly. I think I paid $70 for one and $90 for the other from Menards. I'm not sure I'd bother getting them out if I'm not using them for at least 2-3 gallons per run. Otherwise I think it's faster to brush/roll.

I used a commercial airless sprayer once and it was awesome. I'm sure it cost more than all my Devilbiss Tekna car stuff combined though.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
You can add a little water to latex paint to make it flow easier. Sherwin Williams Duration exterior is kinda thick. For five gallons I would add about a quart of water and mix it between two buckets till its consistent. That little water will evaporate away and not effect the finish.
I have about 1500 gallons of product through my sprayer since my last repack kit. It's important to flush the pump out really good. Then prime it with pump seal to prevent the packing and piston from corroding.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I spent $300 on a Graco sprayer back in 2003 when I built my house. Primed the entire inside of my house with it and painted all of the ceilings. It has been used on random jobs and loaned out several times over the years since then and always worked well. Hated spending that much at the time, but it was worth every penny for the time savings on painting the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts