Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever wanted to know if you can really outrun a michigan state police?

cruisers

motercycles

for the record i was just joking about outrunning a LEO. If ever attempts to stop you, you should stop as soon as you can safely do so

disclaimer: the above links are for informative purposes only, i do not condone any unlawful acts due to the information on those pages

·
Registered
710 Posts
there really not that fast i mean if u had a modded street strip car u could probaly get a good distance away from them but that doesn't mean theres no chopper or road block

·
Coil springs are for pens
3,453 Posts
there really not that fast i mean if u had a modded street strip car u could probaly get a good distance away from them but that doesn't mean theres no chopper or road block
There way slower loaded with radios, cages, patrol gear, overhead lights, spotlights, etc...

And they've usually zoomed in on your plate with the in car dash cam before lighting you up. Flee & elude = felony.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
There way slower loaded with radios, cages, patrol gear, overhead lights, spotlights, etc...

And they've usually zoomed in on your plate with the in car dash cam before lighting you up. Flee & elude = felony.
x2, plus they really only need to maintain visual contact while calling in backup/interceptors to cut off the person fleeing. (so long as it still falls within the particular jurisdiction's pursuit policies)

all that being said, on-coming radar reading vs. a crotch rocket that is already speeding, it's my experience that often an officer won't even turn around to make it an even more dangerous situation - they may call it in for someone else that may be in the vicinity of the direction the bike was headed already though...

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with cruisers it looks to me that the average top speed is about 125-130mph

and with the bikes about 105mph

so assuming that there are no choppers and no radios going to be used, it seems to me that they wouldnt have a chance against a decent proformance car or bike

·
Registered
437 Posts
You just need a handful of powdered sugar, throw it out the window when you see red lights, and it acts just like a smoke screen :)

·
Get Up and Go
2,575 Posts
Damn, I have only gone 110 mph on that track in my 1994 Jeep Cherokee

130 mph in the 1977 Chrysler Town & Counrty wagon (440 4bbl)

The Charger has kicked ass since it was introduced to the cops.

·
You call, we haul.
1,509 Posts
what does that pic have to do with anything?

Never saw the first "Christian Bale as Batman" movie, did ya? He hits Stealth Mode and the cops chasing him lose visual.

With all of the negative press that cops have gotten chasing people and either wiping out a car load of schoolkids being driven by a nun or wiping out themselves, I thought they had "limited" chases anyways. I could be wrong, but I thought the state enacted laws that allow chases only during certain criteria or disallow them when certain things occur.

Could be wrong though. It's happened before.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Never saw the first "Christian Bale as Batman" movie, did ya? He hits Stealth Mode and the cops chasing him lose visual.

With all of the negative press that cops have gotten chasing people and either wiping out a car load of schoolkids being driven by a nun or wiping out themselves, I thought they had "limited" chases anyways. I could be wrong, but I thought the state enacted laws that allow chases only during certain criteria or disallow them when certain things occur.

Could be wrong though. It's happened before.
As far as I recall (it's been a while since I worked directly with the CLEMIS folks) the State did not have specific criteria established as a codified law - simply guidelines, leaving it up to the Jurisdiction to establish their own policy, which in turn was oft rewritten if/when a serious, splashy, front page news type of incident happened and either the elected folks in charge of that jurisdiction got involved, or that jurisdiction's risk management folks felt things were too risky.

·
Jackstand Wheeler
1,114 Posts
Ha....I worked on the plans to upgrade the Chelsea Proving grounds a few years back.

As for running from the Po-po.....well, I cannot confirm or deny that I may or may not have been behind the wheel of one 1981 AMC Spirit that may or may not have had a 350 Chevy and a 4.11 Trac-lok out of a CJ-7 that may or may not have passed a parked MSP cruiser facing the opposite direction just after the crest of a hill late at night at an alleged speed in excess of 100mph. I also may or may not have caught glimpse of the MSP reflectors as I allegedly passed said cruiser. The cruiser in question may or may not have turned his lights on and proceeded to whip a u-turn and then proceed to actually pull-over an alleged associate of mine who may or may not have been "losing" an alleged automotive acceleration contest. The trooper did mention, as he handed the perpetrator (allegedly associated with me) a reckless driving ticket for being clocked at 95mph in a 55mph zone and almost hitting a MSP cruiser in pursuit, that the perpetrator’s alleged associate quote: "..can't out-run the radio".

Meanwhile, I may or may not have been egged on by my alleged passenger to "don't let off" and may or may not have proceeded to accelerate beyond the capability of the speedometer until the alleged Chevy 350 began to float valves, a phenomenon known to occur in that particular power plant at approximately 6800rpm. Simple math would indicate that the alleged speed may or may not have been near 130mph. The 1981 AMC Spirit may or may not have taken a random sequence of back streets and alleys through the greater Alpena area to reach the home of the alleged associate and may or may not have been stored in the back yard of said residence for an alleged period of (5) to (6) weeks.

Now that I think about it, I believe that may have been a dream......or something I saw on TV.....yeah that's it......I saw it on TV.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts