Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im debating on buying either the SD card for my Garmin, or the map book. Whos used them? And whats your opinions?

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
a friend i ride snowmobiles with has the trail system loaded on his garmin. its priceless when your in an area you dont know.

·
Wasn't this attached?
4,125 Posts
I have them on my gps. I like them. The problem is there is no one map set for all uses. I have a handful of different map sets I can switch between on my gps and about three map books for when im out exploring.

Back to your question, they are relatively cheap for what they are and they are the best of their type so yes they are worth the money.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
I bought them, I'm happy with them. I just wish on the electronic version you could show ORV routes and trails separate, not all together on the same map.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had them for YEARS! Absolutely love them. I looked around for a long time for a GPS map solution. Finally I stumbled upon Jeramey's VVMapping.com. I cannot recommend this software enough. I have a trail map book as well. This I seldom use, but it is always with me.
As far as the Route vs. Trail separation, they are diferentiated by symbols on the tracks. I like having them both on the GPS so you can see which is which. In case the "on-the-ground" track is not well marked.
This reminds me, it is time to renew my subscription!!!

·
Low Range Drifter
8,118 Posts
I hooked it up on an old GPS that was useless as the Garmin map update was more than the unit was worth. I've only used it once, but it worked fine.

Having used a lowrance chartplotter in the past, I think the Garmin interface isn't that great in comparison for trail riding; but for the cost and details it's great.

·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are offering a new Magellan unit that seems to be pretty impressive if the dollar amount doesn't scare you. 7" screen and over 100K preloaded trails

1 - 9 of 9 Posts