Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gnarley Davidson
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
gimme the pros and cons of having a co2 tank as opposed to having an engine driven or electric drive compressor. obviously u will run out of air with the co2 but why do so many people have them?

thanx

4d

·
8,046 Posts
Oba is very easy and cheap if you have a/c.

Tank is great for quick fills and from what I've heard from users, will last a summer.(Limited tool use)

Both will run tools but the oba will need a tank to run tools well.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
CO2 is more portable and doesn't require modification to the engine area like an engine driven pump.

I really prefer the Viair option over them both because you can run the pump with a tank and still have A/C and lots of room under the hood while always having air available.

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
I have ac on my TJ and a york OBA setup with a tank mounted under side near the tcase. I can run air tools and air up tires very quickly. compared to the viair set it is a bit quicker but both work well. I have ports front and rear to make it more user friendly on the trail.
I am not sure I would change to anything but what I have, although I am compiling parts for a CO2 setup as well, not so much for jeeping but for camping/traveling, etc. I could use it in my tow vehicles and if needed I could carry it in the jeep.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
I'm cheap and went to the yard and picked up all of the factory brackets to run a York. I have a 2 gallon accumulator tank and it works damn good for the amount of money I have invested. Also sourced a big displacement pump from a FSJ.
No complaints!!

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I have a York OBA in my 03 Rubicon. Spent about $800 total and had it put in the very first week I owned the jeep. Without a tank, its impossible to really run tools. I honestly think OBA is a better choice over CO2 though in the long term. This is provided you have a single trail rig though.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I run a york (it's on a 360, factory brackets) in my YJ.

Love it. Air comes out and goes to my Rock rails (2x4 rect steel) which are airtight and I use for tanks. From there it comes back to the engine bay where the pressure switch, T junction and regulator are. I have 2 ports for air, one regulated and one non.

With my current set-up i can fill my 39.5x15 tire from 2psi to 15psi in about a minute and a half or so and the rails hold enough air to easily use an impact gun for many things from removing lug-nuts to loosening bolts etc. i'll run it at the house sometimes for quick jobs if my 110 gallon compressor is empty and I dont want to wait for it to fill.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Sandals, did you drill and tap your rails? I'm thinking about doing that myself instead of a tank.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
I run a york (it's on a 360, factory brackets) in my YJ.

Love it. Air comes out and goes to my Rock rails (2x4 rect steel) which are airtight and I use for tanks. From there it comes back to the engine bay where the pressure switch, T junction and regulator are. I have 2 ports for air, one regulated and one non.

With my current set-up i can fill my 39.5x15 tire from 2psi to 15psi in about a minute and a half or so and the rails hold enough air to easily use an impact gun for many things from removing lug-nuts to loosening bolts etc. i'll run it at the house sometimes for quick jobs if my 110 gallon compressor is empty and I dont want to wait for it to fill.

Sounds like you are just as lazy as me...
I use mine for lil chores all the time :sonicjay:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts