Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just aquired an older jet boat. It has a fubar 460 in it.
any reason I cant swap a truck 460 into it if I swap all the acessories over.
are marine engines different internally? I always thought they were pretty similar inside.
thx

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Most marine blocks are 4 bolt main. And the block has a higher nickel content for strength.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
All that plus they usually have a coating of some sort in the cooling system to prevent rusting. If you just run water through a truck engine it will fill with rust in a short time. If you put an automotive style engine you'll need to run a water to water cooling system that doesn't let lake water into the engine.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
I took a boat on a debt. Berkeley jet, 455 olds. The guy pulled a fast one on me. The old story, "ran great last year, just needs a starter" was bullshit. Grenaded push rod and valve through the piston.

Found an olds vista cruiser, jerked the motor, rebuilt it. Threw an edelbrockn performer manifold and cam in it. IIRC the marine engine had tighter main clearances. Something about the freshwater cooler doesn't allow heat build up.

My boys after the install

Ran it for nine years without a hitch. I still have it in storage at Tahoe.

Go for it, have fun. Big block Jet drives are a blast.

If its a Berkely, Bell housings are readily available for BBC motors.
Thats what I know.

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a 460 complete if you need one. On a pallet ready for a new owner!
How much. I will ask him this week end if he is ready to swap yet.
will it need a rebuild? Or is it ready to run mostly?
what is it out of, and what year?
Thx

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's an 86, ready to run mostly. It came out of an f250 truck. It's carb, Oil pressure was good when pulled. I can't remember the mileage. I'd like to get pert near 450 bux for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an 86, ready to run mostly. It came out of an f250 truck. It's carb, Oil pressure was good when pulled. I can't remember the mileage. I'd like to get pert near 450 bux for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will see him over the holiday, and pass it along. Thx

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
All that plus they usually have a coating of some sort in the cooling system to prevent rusting. If you just run water through a truck engine it will fill with rust in a short time. If you put an automotive style engine you'll need to run a water to water cooling system that doesn't let lake water into the engine.
Bullshit

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
Not only that, my brother replaced the motor in our our ski nautique 20yrs ago with a 327 out of a corvette and that boat is still going strong...generally marine engine blocks do have a higher nickel content, but I wouldn't sweat it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts