Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Snowman
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*OOPS, Tranny Line*

I can't get the damn front one undone. Tell me what the frick to do. I'm under the Jeep right now so time is of essence.

Here are some photos, am I using this tool right? Does the tool go on the outside of the plastic or the inside?

Vehicle is 96 xj 4.0

·
Registered
840 Posts
Are you sure you need the tool? Don't you just squeeze the plastic tabs together? If you do need the tool try pushng the rubber end of the line farther up onto the steel to allow the tool to go deeper into the fitting.

·
Snowman
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

The old fitting is on the right and the new one is on the left. Did they give me the wrong line?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
nope that is the right line. the metal tabs in the new line replace the plastic clip. i thought the same thing on my xj

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I like the old clip design better only because you don't need a special tool to remove it. I have removed the newer ones without the tool but only because I was replacing the line anyway so it didn't matter if I screwed it up. I got a bunch of those plastic clips in my toolbox from doing fuel filters and not replacing the clips or I kept the old clips in case I lost them.

·
Snowman
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update, finally got it. I broke off the old yellow clip and tried like hell to shove it on. After closer inspection, I found a small metal ring "washer" of sorts that was corroded to the old male end. After taking that off; easy as pie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts