Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
I'm kind of torn on this issue:

1. It can save a life of child,

HOWEVER,

2. If someone is stupid enough to leave their child in a parked car on a hot day, do you really want their offspring surviving?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
With a mounted child seat the seat belt is always buckled, with or without a kid. :miff:
Actually, yes, and no, since many people, like myself use the LATCH system.

Its always a tough call on safety equipment. There is a ton of technology out there that isn't in the vehicles simply for cost reasons. Its a hard line to draw between jacking the price and making it more safe.

Much of my career has been working on safety system. It always angered me how little kids die every year because we had unsafe window switches for decades.

There's actually many more technologies out there, but the US market doesn't get them, for cost or liability reasons.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think all new cars have to use the latch system which negates the use of the belt in that seat. You'd almost have to rely on a weight sensor of some kind.

I'm with Scooter though. I'm all for saving the kids lives. It's the idiots that need to be shot though.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
You don't *have*to use LATCH, but its a better anchoring job. In some cases, with multiple seats, you can't hit all of the LATCH anchors so need to use a regular belt.

This particular case, its tough. It'd be better to develop a dealer installed accessory, IMO.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
So unbuckle it when a child is not in the car.... or have a reset switch so you at least acknowledge there is a possibility that there is a kid in the car...

or just remember that you have a kid in the backseat

or is that too easy?

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Pressure sensitive seat could be used in the rear to remind you if your child is in the car or not...If the seatbelt is buckled and the load is 20+lbs or so above the tare weight of just the car seat.

It would need a bypass switch incase you had brake rotors back there or something though :sonicjay:

Bones idea makes the most sense

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Pressure sensitive seat could be used in the rear to remind you if your child is in the car or not...If the seatbelt is buckled and the load is 20+lbs or so above the tare weight of just the car seat.

It would need a bypass switch incase you had brake rotors back there or something though :sonicjay:

Bones idea makes the most sense
Well, thats standard occupant classification sensing, which is already done in the front seats.

The trouble with this concept, is determining whats really going on. If the system is annoying, or doesn't work well, people wouldn't want it/will disable it.

The fundamental problem I see, is you can't ready distinguish between 'forgetting' someone in the car, and, say putting child one into the car while you go get child two, or a little older kid waiting in the car while you run into the store or something.

That, plus the liability issue, that if its there, and the guys keyfob battery goes dead, or something doesn't detect right, or he's out of transmitter range, AND forgets the kid in the car, now the automaker is going to get sued big time.

Engineering system systems on new cars is very tricky business. Very different with hardware/software design, compared with designing regular products.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Why would the warning light change what the person was gonna do in the first place.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I have the answer. a sensor that detects weight linked to actuators. if the keyfob goes out of range the sensor goes off and opens all the vehicles doors hood, trunk and a P.A. speaker that says "hey you idiot you forgot your kid" then you have to call a number to have the system reset making you 100% responsible for your idiocy. or automatically starts the car and turns on the air or heat cracks the windows if necessary or it could be like an onstar type deal where once you are out of range of the vehicle they call your home, cell work, send you emails, etc. or notify the police. there is no off position on the genius switch (although it doesn't apply to this post)

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Child Protective Services considers leaving a child in a car unattended a form of neglect. Think about that the next time you leave your child in the car and run into a store.
Oh, I don't. But I know my brother can't get both his young kids in the car simultaneously. So he gets his 3yr old into the car, then going inside, and gets his one year old and buckles her in.

And my reason for using that example, is say you have a 12yr old and a 1yr old (We have a 15 year spread between all of my siblings, so this is a plausible scenario). SO, if you have this system installed, and you run into mcdonalds while your 12 year old is in the back seat playing nintendo, then will your alarm go off? Do you want to enable it everytime your baby's in the car and disable it otherwise? If you can't remember to take a kid out, then remembering to enable it isn't going to happen either.

Thats what I'm talking about, there's too much work to make a usable system.

If you are going to develop this stuff, you have to make it work all the time, have failsafes, no false triggers, etc.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
I see your point HÃggar...I know I was just posting a solution without thinking about all of the possible single point failures...

I don't think you are jesus.....haha

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I don't think you are jesus.....haha

Aww, I think ya do..

I'm an automotive electrical engineer, much of my career was developmeing vehicle safety stuff like ABS/Stability, and then a few years with anti-pinch stuff on windows, doors, etc. Plus working a lot with the airbag/OCS/restraint guys in my time doign networking for chrysler.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
No, when your name is typed into the BBS it converts it to jesus. I'm sure you were aware of this....

I'm an electrical engineer of sorts, although I hate the term because I'm not degreed. How about Electrical Technician...... I work on and build automated machinery and do PLC/HMI programming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.