Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While your new 2010 Mustang GT is a nice car, it doesn't belong in a "classic car" show. The dealer a block away has a whole line just like it on the lot, just with less "tire wet". Ditto your new Challenger. The Camaro guys (so far) seem to get it.

While the whole "rat rod" thing isn't for me, I get it. However, a clapped out four banger S-10 with rattle can flat black isn't a rat rod, even if you paint the rims red.

502 crate engines nicely drop right into 1st gen Camaros and Novas. Look like they came that way. Verrrrry nice.

Opel GTs and Triumph spitfires with built SBCs are pretty damn cool - and there a few fantastic fab guys out there. I saw two that looked factory - as well thought-out and finished as Shelby Cobra.

No, I still haven't seen a cool PT Cruiser - "Dream Cruise" edition, drop top, or anything else.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. Lifted jeeps with big tires don't belong either.
I don't mind them - there were a few really nice (and obviously not wheeled except maybe at the dunes) early Broncos and older CJs.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I bet a Butler 541 would look nice in a Pontiac, but haven't seen one yet. I've seen a few GTO LS2 swaps that look real nice, there's a C1 Vette down here on new Vette suspension, Z06 rims and a new Vette engine that looks right.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet a Butler 541 would look nice in a Pontiac, but haven't seen one yet. I've seen a few GTO LS2 swaps that look real nice, there's a C1 Vette down here on new Vette suspension, Z06 rims and a new Vette engine that looks right.

Is it a C5 with the '53 body kit ?- they made a few of those for the 50th anniversary. Actually look good.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Is it a C5 with the '53 body kit ?- they made a few of those for the 50th anniversary. Actually look good.
No, I've seen a couple of those as well. This guy has a C1 like a '58, it is orange and it has a new Vette engine and chassis basically under it. He usually brings it to the Goodguys Car Show down here in Del Mar and parks it in the Concours section I think, but I've seen him in El Cajon as well. Lot of money in that car. I used to have pictures of it, I'm not sure where they went. It's basically Hugger orange with the white side stripe on it, I want to say an LS2 out of a newer Vette, chrome Z06 rims, etc.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,893 Posts
those 53' body kits are UUUUGGGGLLLYYYYY get the real thing or stop messing up a good vette.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I've seen a couple of those as well. This guy has a C1 like a '58, it is orange and it has a new Vette engine and chassis basically under it. He usually brings it to the Goodguys Car Show down here in Del Mar and parks it in the Concours section I think, but I've seen him in El Cajon as well. Lot of money in that car. I used to have pictures of it, I'm not sure where they went. It's basically Hugger orange with the white side stripe on it, I want to say an LS2 out of a newer Vette, chrome Z06 rims, etc.
Sounds cool. There's a 54 or 55 in my neighborhood that's been "modernized". Mechanically, it's pretty cool (C5 EFI drivetrain, 4-wheel discs and suspension, and a mostly accurate body with modern 18-20: rims and tires). The interior however was overdone - too much digital/video screen nonsense.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,486 Posts
:(...My lifted Jeep will be there today.... But, it has an historical plate on it! :thumb:
However, I do agree that my other lifted Jeep with big tires (XJ) doesn't belong there!:thumb:
Brian, you hit it on the head. A nostalgic vehicle of any sort (as long as it's not trash) is cool in a cruise environment. But a more recent modified one does not, regardless if it's a new corvette or jeep. Take my YJ for example, it's highly modified with virtually nothing remaining stock. But that doesn't make it nostalgic.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll probably take my TJ down because it's a good viewing vehicle and the @%^&$ Vette has yet another power steering leak...

·
Does this Pro Bono...
697 Posts
That old cement truck doing burnouts was meant for crusin downriver
That thing was awesome! It was supercharged and everything. And even the drum still spun... WAY cooler than the Waste Managment truck IMO.

I was there in my new 02 SLP, and even I cruised the middle lane like a good young buck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts