Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Premium Member
8,141 Posts
Thank you for your e-mail and your enthusiasm for off-road recreation in Oakland County. The Michigan DNR recently closed on two large properties in Holly to develop the future park. At this time, Oakland County Parks and Recreation does not yet have an agreement with the MDNR to operate the park. I have added your name to our growing list of interested ORV users, and we will be sure to update you when there is progress on the development of an agreement and/or the park.

Again, thank you for your comments!

Chances that melissa has an auto response set up? :teehee:
naw, just cut and paste

· No more Jeep
4,009 Posts
Got the same response as everyone else.
I stated right in my email that I was not a Resident of Oakland county but would spend money at local business, use the camp ground close by and if they go alone with it the biking paths and dog park.

There is a TON of stuff associated with the Off-Road Park so All of interests me.

· Premium Member
8,141 Posts
Try this one, he is the head of the parks system, reporting directly to the parks commission.
Dan Stencil
[email protected]

And directly under Stencil
Sue Wells
[email protected]
I emailed to both these, [email protected] bounced back as no such email in the oakgov.com mail system, then today I received this:

John –

Your comments to Dan Stencil about the ORV Park made their way to me to respond. J Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in off-road recreation in Oakland County. The Michigan DNR did recently close on two large properties in Holly to develop the future park. At this time, Oakland County Parks and Recreation does not yet have an agreement with the MDNR to operate the park. I have added your name to our growing list of interested ORV users, and we will be sure to update you when there is progress on the development of an agreement and/or the park.

Again, thank you for your comments!

Melissa Prowse, CPRP CPRP seal reduced
Supervisor – Planning + Resource Development
[email protected]
248-249-2801

· 81 inches of fun
14,298 Posts
Mine from Melissa was similar, but she added a comment at the end, so they are being read. I'll had to dig it up to post...

Jacob –

Thank you for your e-mail and your enthusiasm for off-road recreation in southeast Michigan. The Michigan DNR recently closed on two large properties in Holly to develop the future park. At this time, Oakland County Parks and Recreation does not yet have an agreement with the MDNR to operate the park. I have added your name to our growing list of interested ORV users, and we will be sure to update you when there is progress on the development of an agreement and/or the park.

Again, thank you for your kind comments about our park system!

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
OK folks, this is where YOU can help!

There are multiple levels within Oakland County and they are very hard to decipher who does what and where the buck stops.

There are county parks employees. These are the folks like Jon Noyes (who has been our strongest advocate), Melissa Prowse (Jon's boss) and Dan Stencil (Melissa's boss).

They all report to the county parks commission, WHICH IS OUR CURRENT STUMBLING BLOCK. I have been unable to find direct contact info for any of the parks commission and many of you have been sending emails to their "contact us" link, which as you know, gets diverted to Melissa.

Without the approval of the parks commission, the county cannot and will not move forward with the ORV park. In the meantime, the MDNR is waiting for the parks commission to make a decision. Therein lies the roadblock.

Further up the chain of command is the Board of Commissioners. I have no idea what they do or how much the parks commission reports to them, but I know THAT THEY HAVE INFLUENCE OVER THE PARKS COMMISSION.

So, there are 2 different upcoming meetings that you can attend:

First, the next parks commission meeting.
I have suggested to many of you that you attend a parks commission meeting. The next meeting is scheduled for:

Start: 10/4/17, 1:00 PM
End: 10/4/17, 2:00 PM

Waterford Oaks: 2800 Watkins Lake Rd, Waterford MI 48328

You can find the link here;
https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvolved/Pages/Parks-Commision.aspx

I know it is difficult to attend a mid week meeting in the afternoon, but if you can find the time, it will be helpful. As I have explained in the past, you are allowed to speak at the meeting during a "public comment" time. When you arrive, you fill out a small card with your name and your wish to speak.

Note; that when you start to tell them that you have learned that the state has purchased the land for an ORV area and you are excited about it, and would like to encourage the county to move forward, they are going to tell you that it's not on today's agenda. That is your opportunity to say, I understand it's not but as a resident, we want to see this happen.

You will probably leave feeling like you did not accomplish much. But you need to UNDERSTAND that NO ONE attends these meetings, so anyone showing up to speak is non-normal.

Second, the next board of commissioners meeting.

This is the link to the board of commissioners. If you choose to contact them, click on each of their names, there is contact info.
https://www.oakgov.com/boc/Pages/contact.aspx

Their next meeting is scheduled for:
Wednesday, October 11th at 7:00 pm.
1200 North Telegraph Rd.
Pontiac

Since this meeting is being held in the evening, I am hoping to have a HUGE turnout. I have been in contact with Wicked Jeeps and they are planning to have a convoy with the hopes of a large amount of Jeeps in the parking lot.

I am also wondering if we can contact some of the local 4x4 shops and have them show up with company trailers.

Let me be clear, I have no idea if any of this will help our cause. But if we DO NOTHING, we may GET NOTHING. If we DO SOMETHING, we may GET SOMETHING. No pain, no gain.

· 81 inches of fun
14,298 Posts
OK folks, this is where YOU can help!

There are multiple levels within Oakland County and they are very hard to decipher who does what and where the buck stops.

There are county parks employees. These are the folks like Jon Noyes (who has been our strongest advocate), Melissa Prowse (Jon's boss) and Dan Stencil (Melissa's boss).

They all report to the county parks commission, WHICH IS OUR CURRENT STUMBLING BLOCK. I have been unable to find direct contact info for any of the parks commission and many of you have been sending emails to their "contact us" link, which as you know, gets diverted to Melissa.

Without the approval of the parks commission, the county cannot and will not move forward with the ORV park. In the meantime, the MDNR is waiting for the parks commission to make a decision. Therein lies the roadblock.

Further up the chain of command is the Board of Commissioners. I have no idea what they do or how much the parks commission reports to them, but I know THAT THEY HAVE INFLUENCE OVER THE PARKS COMMISSION.

So, there are 2 different upcoming meetings that you can attend:

First, the next parks commission meeting.
I have suggested to many of you that you attend a parks commission meeting. The next meeting is scheduled for:

Start: 10/4/17, 1:00 PM
End: 10/4/17, 2:00 PM

Waterford Oaks: 2800 Watkins Lake Rd, Waterford MI 48328

You can find the link here;
https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvolved/Pages/Parks-Commision.aspx

I know it is difficult to attend a mid week meeting in the afternoon, but if you can find the time, it will be helpful. As I have explained in the past, you are allowed to speak at the meeting during a "public comment" time. When you arrive, you fill out a small card with your name and your wish to speak.

Note; that when you start to tell them that you have learned that the state has purchased the land for an ORV area and you are excited about it, and would like to encourage the county to move forward, they are going to tell you that it's not on today's agenda. That is your opportunity to say, I understand it's not but as a resident, we want to see this happen.

You will probably leave feeling like you did not accomplish much. But you need to UNDERSTAND that NO ONE attends these meetings, so anyone showing up to speak is non-normal.

Second, the next board of commissioners meeting.

This is the link to the board of commissioners. If you choose to contact them, click on each of their names, there is contact info.
https://www.oakgov.com/boc/Pages/contact.aspx

Their next meeting is scheduled for:
Wednesday, October 11th at 7:00 pm.
1200 North Telegraph Rd.
Pontiac

Since this meeting is being held in the evening, I am hoping to have a HUGE turnout. I have been in contact with Wicked Jeeps and they are planning to have a convoy with the hopes of a large amount of Jeeps in the parking lot.

I am also wondering if we can contact some of the local 4x4 shops and have them show up with company trailers.

Let me be clear, I have no idea if any of this will help our cause. But if we DO NOTHING, we may GET NOTHING. If we DO SOMETHING, we may GET SOMETHING. No pain, no gain.

Jim,

I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted this to Facebook and tagged a shitload of jeepers to get them to share it. Looks like it is making rounds already :teehee:

· Registered
939 Posts
Hi Dion –

Thank you for your e-mail and enthusiasm for ORV recreation in Oakland County! We agree that the proposed park is in the perfect location, with a lot of wonderful recreation amenities close by. The Michigan DNR recently closed on two large properties in Groveland Township (and partially in Holly Township) to develop the future park. At this time, Oakland County Parks and Recreation does not yet have an agreement with the MDNR to operate the park. I have added your e-mail to our growing list of interested ORV users, and we will be sure to update you when there is progress on the development of an agreement and/or the park.

Please note that while the property is now owned by the Michigan DNR, it is still and active mine site and no public access (on foot or in vehicles) is permitted at this time.

Again, thank you for sharing!

Supervisor – Planning + Resource Development

[email protected]

248-249-2801

This is the response i got from Melissa yesterday. It took a couple days for her to respond, but she did, and it looks like mine is a tidge different from the others posted, but pretty much boiler plate. Hopefully we're getting somewhere. I, sadly, won't be able to attend either meeting, but hope there's a large turnout, and everyone from our hobby is gracious and accepting of everything said by the board members. People must remember that there is a process to governmental meetings, and they may not be able to convey the message we will want to hear. Please make this clear to all potential attendees.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
I put the Parks Commission meeting on my calendar. If **** doesn't blow up at work, then I hope to attend. With how much I've been cleaning off the fan lately, not 100% sure I'll be able to attend.
Awesome John. I purposely will not be at the parks commission meeting but will be at the board of commissioners meeting.

As an update, we are hoping for a huge turnout for the board of commissioners meeting with people bringing their rigs early. It would be great to have an impromptu tailgate jeep (or other) party. I'll be trailering my jeep and I encourage others to bring their motorbikes, quads, sxs's, jeeps etc.
@kickstand
@95geo

· circling the drain
35,865 Posts
Awesome John. I purposely will not be at the parks commission meeting but will be at the board of commissioners meeting.

As an update, we are hoping for a huge turnout for the board of commissioners meeting with people bringing their rigs early. It would be great to have an impromptu tailgate jeep (or other) party. I'll be trailering my jeep and I encourage others to bring their motorbikes, quads, sxs's, jeeps etc.
@kickstand
@95geo
sorry, I haven't checked in recently. What night is this? I may try to attend, but I'm not loading up my dirtbike just to haul it to a meeting.

· Low Range Drifter
8,788 Posts
Got held up at work and left 15mins late.. which meant I was 15 mins late to meeting. Walked in during open comments section.

There were at least 4 pro-park comments in the time I was there, including Mike O for GLFWDA. No anti-park comments when I was there. Kostin came out during the break to thank the offroaders that showed up.

Only other comments were about a historical house near Independence Oaks that other residents are trying to get them to not tear down.

Not sure about making BoC meeting, but I'll give it a shot.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.