Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
You can make a profit when you literally do no trail maintenance.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
really?

They added woods course, rock course, rock obstacles, gravel in certain washed out areas, built the ROAD back to the rock courses that used to be a 1/2 mile mud bog, added pavillions, bathrooms, picnic tables, etc.

Sorry, but it's getting old hearing people bitch about the mounds. The mounds "is what it is" a spot that has a lot of deep mud holes and I get some people don't like mud. But to say that the county hasn't done any trail maintenance is a little off base. They've also, as I pointed out, improved the facilities themselves immensely over the years.

Since my first time there in 1996 I've seen a number of the mentioned changes and a number of trails maintained, graveled, etc.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The Mounds is profitable but not the only money maker in Genesee County. I agree with Chad, they continue to make improvements but I also think there is trail development that they could do but haven't. RE the mud, just stay out of it. I'd go there in a heartbeat if others would go. Just that no one posts up anymore. :(

As far as worrying about the higher ups in the county pissing on it, don't worry about it. It's my belief that the state and township will move forward on their own if the county keeps dragging their feet. But for the moment, the state is still trying to work with the county.

There was a meeting yesterday that I hear went well. I don't know the specifics.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
@whiterhino very nice article in the Boondocker, thanks for sharing, I learned a lot about you, and what you looked like before I was born :sonicjay: And thanks for your efforts.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
really?

They added woods course, rock course, rock obstacles, gravel in certain washed out areas, built the ROAD back to the rock courses that used to be a 1/2 mile mud bog, added pavillions, bathrooms, picnic tables, etc.

Sorry, but it's getting old hearing people bitch about the mounds. The mounds "is what it is" a spot that has a lot of deep mud holes and I get some people don't like mud. But to say that the county hasn't done any trail maintenance is a little off base. They've also, as I pointed out, improved the facilities themselves immensely over the years.

Since my first time there in 1996 I've seen a number of the mentioned changes and a number of trails maintained, graveled, etc.
While the facilities may have improved last I knew the trails were near impassable by even quads and bikes, not just rutted but grown over heavily.

Unless they have redone the beginner and "intermediate" courses since I was there last they weren't worth going for. At that time they were a damn joke and not worth going for. I've heard the expert course is good, however I have not attempted it. I was also told not to go without a buddy, and to expect pretty decent damage.

It's been awhile since I was there, but without 40"+ tires it was tough to get around from all the gotmud guys on tractor tires, the fact they were out there drinking didn't really make me want to go back either.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
While the facilities may have improved last I knew the trails were near impassable by even quads and bikes, not just rutted but grown over heavily.

Unless they have redone the beginner and "intermediate" courses since I was there last they weren't worth going for. At that time they were a damn joke and not worth going for. I've heard the expert course is good, however I have not attempted it. I was also told not to go without a buddy, and to expect pretty decent damage.

It's been awhile since I was there, but without 40"+ tires it was tough to get around from all the gotmud guys on tractor tires, the fact they were out there drinking didn't really make me want to go back either.
Quite frankly, you don't know what you are talking about.

Last time I was there was on my dirtbike, not in a jeep or otherwise and there were plenty of trails to be ridden, many improvements to both of the main trails that head back to the more popular areas.

If you don't think that the courses are worth going for that is a completely different discussion, the mounds is a swamp, was a swamp 50 years ago and will always be a swamp, if you don't like mud it's not the place for you. But you can't expect the county to turn it into Moab or the Rubicon. It is a place that has a lot of mud holes and the county has not only improved the facilities but they have also brought in improvements for the trails (ie the rocks everyone wanted) and also put down a ton of gravel to improve some of the more main roads so you could get back to the rocks with out having to mud bog.

How long has it been since you were there? I started going there in 1996 and my last trip there was right before winter. The park has been MUCH improved in those 21 years. To say otherwise is off base.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
@whiterhino very nice article in the Boondocker, thanks for sharing, I learned a lot about you, and what you looked like before I was born :sonicjay: And thanks for your efforts.
Thanks @shawn. I've really struggled with the accolades when I know in my heart that I've done some harmful things. Damn I was sexy back then. :naughty:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yes there are. Progress is still progressing but the county continues to linger. We need people to help out per phittie's post.

·
BLB CONCRETE
709 Posts
Yes there are. Progress is still progressing but the county continues to linger. We need people to help out per phittie's post.

Is there a potion or something? I looked back didnt see anything. Be nice to have another place close by to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
41 - 57 of 57 Posts