Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ol' lady has a 99 bravada with this piece of crap t-case.....it's binding up when you turn meaning either the encoder motor is fuxored or the clutches are smoked in the case. I'm going to do a flush with Autotrak II (or whatever the GM specific oil is) and see if that cures the issue.
If not, I'll be tearing it down soon and I'll use this thread to post my progress as it goes along..If it's the clutches, I'll be replacing the fibers, steels and input spacer with the ones from a NV236. It will upgrade the clutch pack to 10 fibers, 9 steels, and a thinner input spacer. The stock 136s only had 7 fibers, 6 steels, and a thicker input spacer. My research indicates this will be a bolt-on swap.
Just means splitting the case..ugh lots of :beer: will be consumed during this process.....

Hopefully this cures the issue and anybody else with one of these parts eaters can use this thread to fix their own shiz...

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WOOT Problem solved.

Dumped out old oil, refilled with new, drove 100 miles, dumped out oil, refilled with new.

Problem is that the oil breaks down and makes the clutches grabby...just needed a flush

1 - 2 of 2 Posts