Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BigBoysNeedBigToys
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 chevy pickup short box regular cab,t hat sits on a 79 chassis. It is ifted 4 inches with a 2 in body lift, running 35's. The owner before me did a half ass job of restoring it and putting it back together so now im working out the kinks. It has a built 350/ 350 combo in it and now ive ran into a problem. I feel that the transfer case is way to heavy to mount to the transmission with just the 4 bolts that mount into the end on the tranny. I guess my question is did they run mounts from the trnasfer case to the frame? If so would i exprience the frame twisting?? Just need some input...

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,128 Posts
All of the Chevy's i've owned have used torque arms to distribute the weight/load and a single trans mount to secure it all to the chassis. The motor should have two torque arms bolted from the motor to either side of the trans, and the t-case should have a single torque arm bolted from the front output side to the top of the trans with a bolt going through the arm and trans into the back of the motor. It's not hard to fab up an extra t-case cross member/mount and it reduces any frame flex in that area.

·
BigBoysNeedBigToys
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BigBlockBlazer for the help, now i guess im in search of the torque arms, considering mine apparently doesnt have any, which brings up a better question, do u know where i would find them????

·
BigBoysNeedBigToys
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fabbing them up, or fabbing and extra trans case cross member is not thrown out of the mix yet either, but my first option would be to find the parts it came with

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,128 Posts
Good luck finding any as they are usually discarded during a motor or tranny swap. I built one (torque arm) for a buddy's Jeep to keep the t-case in place and a cross member mount as well to keep from breaking trans mounts. It should be easy if you know how to fab and have a decent welder. Good luck!

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,448 Posts
almost all the torque arms that went to the T case are mounted on the right side of the T case and go to the second bell housing bolt from the top (above the starter) the two rods that come down from the engine bolt to the torque converter cover. they all went a long way to prevent things "flexing" and cracking stuff.

·
BigBoysNeedBigToys
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate feedback from both of you, it is really a big help. BigBlock, I figured that's prolly the most common situation with ppl leaving them out when they do a drivetrain swap, which sucks, cuz now mines missing them. At this point in my REbuild im about ready to just give up, The first owner of my truck did everything half a** now after i acquired the truck, im trying to fix all the costly things wrong with it,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.