Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Bound I75 and Square Lake road - KABOOM. Roughly a 6' section of retread flying at me about 4' off the ground on a descending trajectory.

smashed the bumper cover, taking out the foglight, scraping paint off down to the urethane/gel coat/whatever, then flipped up, crashed down onto the hood, caving it in, then up and over the windshield.

top was down, thankfully it didn't decide to visit me inside the car.

police reports, insurance claims, loaner cars, oh joyous end to the day...

all in all, glad I wasn't on a bike, or get plowed by someone else trying to avoid the debacle, but what a p.i.t.a.

-Rosie out.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
you lucky thats all, they just recently did a mythbusters on this and it will kill you if it hits just right. they put one through a side window and it took busters head pritty much off.........

poor buster:tonka:

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
What day was this. I seen one on I-75 NB in the same area on Saturday. Less than a mile away I also seen mini-van pulled over on the side with a flat.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you lucky thats all, they just recently did a mythbusters on this and it will kill you if it hits just right. they put one through a side window and it took busters head pritty much off.........

poor buster:tonka:
I have no doubt about how lucky I was/am.

From the tire not wrapping around the windshield to smack me in the face/head, to going through the windshield, to not getting plowed from behind, or the sides by other folks trying to avoid the mess, etc., etc.

I know we have a tire disposal/recycling issue in this nation, and the retreads are probably safe if engineered, refurbished, and maintained properly, but given the number of fragments I see on the roads on a daily basis, I have to wonder how often they do get shed as violently as what I saw...

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What day was this. I seen one on I-75 NB in the same area on Saturday. Less than a mile away I also seen mini-van pulled over on the side with a flat.
it was at 4:45 pm this afternoon. While the officer was writing up the report, dispatch called in another call about another car impacted, presumably when another car/truck ran it over and flipped it up (unless there was yet another tire splosion after the one that hit me)

for what it's worth, I heard on the radio a report of a ladder in the road on southbound I75 at holly road...

·
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
1,540 Posts
We saw that fucker about 3 cars a head of us when a silverado picked it up and threw it about 10 foot in the air! That fucker almost hit me and Canada Joe, instead it hit the car behind it and bounced it into the other lane! We almost didn't make the ride!

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
Hot weather is bad on retreads, luckly I have never had one blow. The thing that scares me the most is the clueless people that ride next to a semi ( by the tires) in a blind spot for miles. If the tires blows or driver dosent see him in his "BLIND" spot and changes lanes they are dead

·
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
1,540 Posts
I try to keep the driver in at least one mirror at all times when passing them....... besides on a bike.... the wind vortex like to push and pull you under the tires...... so I don't ride beside the big trucks longer than I have to!

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hot weather is bad on retreads, luckly I have never had one blow. The thing that scares me the most is the clueless people that ride next to a semi ( by the tires) in a blind spot for miles. If the tires blows or driver dosent see him in his "BLIND" spot and changes lanes they are dead
there's not much on the road smaller than my miata, so I drive it like most people do bikes - with an attempt at maintaining situational awareness, and as defensively as possible.

that being said, at 70-75 mph, with 4-5 lanes merging together full of rush hour traffic, I was more concerned with the larger metallic objects, all around me than the tire flying at me.

Back in highschool, and for 2 years after, I drove a 30something foot box truck, and while not quite a semi-truck, it still gave me somewhat of a feeling of what it is to be a commercial driver.

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
there's not much on the road smaller than my miata, so I drive it like most people do bikes - with an attempt at maintaining situational awareness, and as defensively as possible.

that being said, at 70-75 mph, with 4-5 lanes merging together full of rush hour traffic, I was more concerned with the larger metallic objects, all around me than the tire flying at me.

Back in highschool, and for 2 years after, I drove a 30something foot box truck, and while not quite a semi-truck, it still gave me somewhat of a feeling of what it is to be a commercial driver.
ive had that happen a couple yr's ago when i was passing one..gave the x a heart attack....sounds like your standing next to a cannon

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is really behind all that rubber on the roads

RyeBread -

It sounds like you, Stogie, and Canada Joe all had a scare of a lifetime--and rightfully so in terms of the potential for the encounter to have turned even more destructive than it did. I am glad that you are all physically okay.

North Bound I75 and Square Lake road - KABOOM. Roughly a 6' section of retread flying at me about 4' off the ground on a descending trajectory.
I know we have a tire disposal/recycling issue in this nation, and the retreads are probably safe if engineered, refurbished, and maintained properly, but given the number of fragments I see on the roads on a daily basis, I have to wonder how often they do get shed as violently as what I saw...

On a slightly different note and to all...

It may surprise you to learn that not all tire debris littering the highways is due to them being retreaded. In fact, the vast majority of the tire bits (road alligators) on the road have never been retreaded, let alone are the results of a retreading failure. Blaming retreads for the tire debris and failures is like blaming the cars for the accidents caused by drunk drivers. The blame is in the wrong place.

The main culprit behind this serious problem is improper tire maintenance and, more specifically, underinflation. All tires come apart when improperly maintained no matter if they are new or retreaded. But retreads have been proven just as safe as new tires. And because of this, they are used on school buses, US Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx vehicles, as well as taxis, and even fire engines.

The retread industry takes incidents such as RyeBread's very seriously. We are also very concerned with the amount of tire debris on our highways because it is a dangerous reality, as some of you saw. That is why at the Tire Retread and Repair Information Bureau we are constantly working to educate trucking fleets and other private and public sector motorists about the importance of proper tire maintenance. We do radio segments on trucking shows, put on workshops, and even worked side-by-side with Mythbusters on that particular episode to help people understand the dangers of poor tire care.

Hot weather is bad on retreads, luckly I have never had one blow.
As far as retreads in the hot weather, they are no less effective than new tires. In fact, retreads are used successfully by both commercial and military airlines where they go through extreme temperature changes from take off to landing several times a day. It all boils down, once again, to maintenance. That said, though, heat is tough on all tires. But whether you drive a big rig or little matchbox, it is imperative that you check and maintain proper air inflation.

If anyone would like more information about what is behind so much rubber on the road, check out http://www.retread.org/Rubber/ or contact the Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau.

Once again, since it had to happen at all unfortunately, I am glad it was your car that took the impact and not your body, RyeBread.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
trib is absolutly correct. alot less retreads than you think these days. mostly on dump trucks or gravel trains. they go off road into construction sites alot and have flats all the time so they try to go cheap. also container haulers have them alot too. most otr trucks or even regional or dedicated trucks are new tires, not retreads. look at a blown carcasss(gator). if it has steel wire cords, then it was never retreaded. retreads use polyester cords.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts