Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a newer S10 or Sonoma (96-98) but have a few questions.
1. As far as those 2" lifts go, for the ZR2 models, does that add lift to the truck, or replace that "factory lift"? I'm thinking 32s-33s is where I wanna be. I'm pretty sure it just replaces the stock lift but I want to make sure.
2. How good are these trucks? Gas mileage, off roading, etc. I'm preferring an extended cab V6 5 speed if I can. I wanna haul a little stuff, wheel a little as well.
3. Generally what gear ratio do these trucks have? Would it be fine to go to a 32 or 33 without regearing?
4. Best years to look for? Any problems?
Thanks.

·
Todd
1,077 Posts
are you talking suspension lift or body lift? the zr2's come with 31's, as for gears it depends on what it came with some times 3.73's sometimes 4.10's. 1999 to 03 were decent just cuz now there a little newer. since its gunna be a dd 96-98 is getting a little old now. common issues is fuel gauges not working cause the sending units go bad

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright thanks, I was talking about the 2" suspension lift. I know the ZR2s came with 31s and was seeing if putting a 2" suspension lift on top of that would make it so I could stuff a little bigger tire, or if the 2" suspension lift just replaces the ZR2 factory suspension, pretty much leaving 31s either way. I'm thinking a 2" suspension and 2" body lift is where I'd want to be. Hopefully regearing won't be an issue, if they come with 3.73 or 4.10s it shouldn't be.

·
Dune Slut
31 Posts
the frame is different on a zr2 to get that lift out of them, so anything you do to it will make it taller. So basicly your not defeating the zr2 package by changing the lift if that is what you are getting at.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks. I'll be planning on a 2" body and 2" suspension lift, then cut where needed. From looking at the prices for the lifts I don't really want to go with the full 6" lift, I know I won't be willing to sink that kinda money. Now I just have to find out where the deals are out there to get one of these trucks, most are 4 bangers from CL.

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Everyone who has ran a 2 inch suspension lift hates them. They have always had front end problems due to driveline angles.
A zr2 will have 3.73 and in the glove box if it says g80 it has a crappy locker in it.
I'm my z I get like 13mpg it sucks. Don't plan on running 33's unless you go with a 6 inch lift because you will have to destroy the fenders with a sawzall. I have 31's and 4.75 bs and my tires rub.
If you plan on wheeling it heavily it won't last long, and you will begain to hate it.
I hate my truck, but its the way it is because of what I've done to it

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
To be completly honest, go with a cherokee or something with a solid front end. The 4.3 is a good motor but the ifs absolutley blows

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go with another XJ, I like mine, but I need a pickup. I've had my share of trying to haul stuff in my XJ.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
Out of the box they are pretty good trucks and as for tire fitment you need high a high offset wheel not a discount tire dwindow steelie and the front end will hold up longer,

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking you guys are saying I should stray away and get something else, from what was openly said. Looks like I'll have to find something more suited for what I'm asking.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
I'm thinking you guys are saying I should stray away and get something else, from what was openly said. Looks like I'll have to find something more suited for what I'm asking.
I'm not sure what they are selling for but when I looked at them in -4 it made more sense to buy a fullsize My crewcab z71 got 16 average mpg and the new one gets 18 so you arent saving any gas with a highrider

·
Rockin an XJ
1,008 Posts
Just do a body lift and put 32's on the stockers The 2" suspension lift will destroy the front end, heck i destroyed my front end in stock form. the ball joints and idler arm do not like offroading.

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
I'm not saying a s10 isn't a option, but mine hasn't faired well. New front axle, rebuilt motor. Wheel bearings every 6 months. Ball joints all the time. Allignment issues. I know that if I had went with another cherokee I would have a bad ass rig for all the money I've dropped on repairs in my truck. I honeslty have wheeled the snot out of it though. Jumped it to. I financed it when I was 18 and have learned from my childish mistakes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts