Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all im a brand new, wet behind the ears Jeep owner. I know a lot about cars (working on becoming ASE certified) but am new to Jeeps. I just bought a 94 YJ with the 2.5L 4 and the AX-5 manual. I'm looking into a mild lift (3-5 inches) and some bigger tires. I'd like to run 33's, maybe 35's. My question is what axles do you recommend because i know my stock D35 rear and D30 front wont take much punishment. I saw a local guy selling a 78 bronco with a high pinion D44 front and a 9 inch rear for real cheap. Would that axle combo work well under a jeep? I know they'd have to be shortened to make em fit. Anyone done this swap? Will my lil 4 banger have the poop to turn 35's even with a lower gear ratio? Tips/tricks, cost estimate, and the likes would be appreciated. Or steer me to a thread thats already about this that i missed. Thanks.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,556 Posts
Your little 4 banger will struggle with 35's unless you gear it down. If you gear it down it will do good off road but will run higher rpm at highway speeds. Are you going to DD drive it or just trail ride with it?

If you plan to DD it, I would stick with nothing more than 33's and your stock axles will hold up pretty well. The 9"/44 combo has been done many times both narrowed and left full width. Both ways work out really well. When discussing an axle swap, the costs can go alot of directions depending on what other options you want. IE: lockers, tpe of suspension, leaf spring, linked, air shocks, coil overs, stretching wheelbase, steering improvements, driveshafts, SYE kit, etc. Also depends on your mechanical abilities versus what you have to pay for.

There's no one single answer.

·
Size Matters (.)(.)
3,659 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
there are some other things to consider especially being new to this sport. (obsession, curse, disease...etc. etc... )
You need to consider relationships, most are adversely affected by this hobby

Make sure you have no emotional ties to money and can spend it as fast as you can get it, usually contingent on the sale of something to buy something.

Your current garage, shop, yard, tool collection, is not big enough.

There is no way that you currently have enough vehicles in your collection, be it running, parts, or projects.

You can never have enough spare parts, even if you don't own the vehicle they go to.

Good luck with your axle swap

42,949 Posts
FYI, I had the same setup as you when I bought my jeep. Ended up with dana 44 front and rear with 4.88 gears, AX5, and 35" trxus and it did totally fine with the 2.5.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
If you are keeping the 2.5, the just swap some TJ axles in the D30, and maybe a D44, 8.8 or Dodge 8 3/4 into the rear when the D35 gives up on you.n

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok little more info here. Engine and transmission both have less than 50K on them so they're staying. The Jeep is going to see a lot of mud, two tracks and sand dunes (LOTS of time at silver lake) but i also intend to DD it in the summers. (chevy truck for the colder months) whiterhino said my stock axles will handle 33's? If they will that would take some significant cost out of the first round of upgrades. Maybe i should look more into upgrading the D30 i already have? Chromemoly shafts and spicer heavy duty ujoints would probably go a long way. Anyone have good/bad experience with stock (or upgraded D30) axles and 33's? Will i want to change my gear ratio with 33's? Oh and i was also looking into lunchbox lockers because i cant afford full air lockers. Any experience there also? Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Look at the post above yours.

You don't need chromos for your D30. I've been running Q78 Swampers or 35x14.50 Boggers on mine since it was new. (38.5x11 Boggers for the dunes) Just swap in some TJ shafts.

·
ESTRADA
727 Posts
there are some other things to consider especially being new to this sport. (obsession, curse, disease...etc. etc... )
You need to consider relationships, most are adversely affected by this hobby

Make sure you have no emotional ties to money and can spend it as fast as you can get it, usually contingent on the sale of something to buy something.

Your current garage, shop, yard, tool collection, is not big enough.

There is no way that you currently have enough vehicles in your collection, be it running, parts, or projects.

You can never have enough spare parts, even if you don't own the vehicle they go to.

Good luck with your axle swap
Thats the big one in that statement. I had a built jeep before my marraige and still have it now that i'm divorced. Never really caused big problems other than if your buying that then i'm buying this. Or if your going wheeling then i'm doing this. :blah::blah::blah: Now I got a girl that enjoys projects on it and actually can drive the damn thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts