Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting p0340 for a couple months and I would clear it by disconnecting the battery.

today I got the Engine Light on again so I took off the Camshaft Sensor and blew off the contacts on the sensor but it back together and the Jeep Wont start but will crank

The engine light comes on about 2 seconds into cranking.

I dont wanna start replaceing parts unless I know whats bad

The jeep has 130k on it and is an auto

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have rear in other posts that just because I get a p0340 code doesnt mean that the camshaft sensor is bad

BTW, where can I get a camshaft position sensor?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have a continuity tester, but the cam sensor has paint worn off it where it makes contact in the distributer.

hey Rocky or anyone close wanna help me out? theres beer in it for ya

I have been checking parts stores like murrys and autozone , pepboy and no one has this sensor except the dealer and he said he said he doesnt stock it

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys, the problem ended up being the camshaft sensor, distributor hall effect sensor or the pick-up coil

everyone seems to have a different name for it

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Is that the same as the crank position sensor? My 98 tj would crank but not start, and it was the CPS.
No a cam sensor in the distributer. The crank position sensor on on the bellhousing. Also the cam sensor is a p0340 and the cps is a p0320.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
thanks for the input guys, the problem ended up being the camshaft sensor, distributor hall effect sensor or the pick-up coil

everyone seems to have a different name for it
Glad to hear it. I was going to tell you to make sure the rotor is turning, to make sure your timing chain didn't let go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts