Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not nitrogen shocks but these things w/e they are called.

anyone have any experience running these on the street? never have seen a street driven rig with them and was wondering if there is a reason not to. Just curious I guess. Its in the back of my mind when I stretch the front to use those instead of new shocks and springs but if it doesnt work oh well.

thanks for the help,

Ty

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Don't do it.

Too many cycles and they heat up and go to ass... They're fine for a light trail vehicle or comp rig, but if you have them on a heavier rig that's seeing extended driving on the road or trail, they'll get too hot and not work worth a damn.

5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't do it.

Too many cycles and they heat up and go to ass... They're fine for a light trail vehicle or comp rig, but if you have them on a heavier rig that's seeing extended driving on the road or trail, they'll get too hot and not work worth a damn.
alright sounds good. I was expecting to see some reasonable reason why I have never seen anyone do it on a vehicle.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Don't do it.

x2
They have so little oil in them that when the body heats up from cycling, the oil gets hot and the shock fades terribly bad....
They are highly adjustable though, you can adjust nitrogen pressures and even put different weight oils in the shock body to adjust rebound and stuff...

hope this helps

·
Mall Rated
1,567 Posts
I haven't noticed any ill effects on them just yet. Its not a daily driver but I have driven it up 15 ish miles at a time at 45/50 without any fading. On Michigan rds it seems that would be enough to heat them up enough to produce fade. Mine are 2.5", the 2.0" might be a different story. The 2.5's have more than double the oil capacity than the 2.0's. I have them on a full bodied TJ and coasting around a turn the rig still stays pretty level. I was actually kind of surprised being I hadn't run into anybody running fox's at all four corners on a street driven rig. I will be driving it a little bit farther as I get more and more bugs worked out on it, which will give me a better idea on how they handle on the road. This is the rig for reference...

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
x2
They have so little oil in them that when the body heats up from cycling, the oil gets hot and the shock fades terribly bad....
They are highly adjustable though, you can adjust nitrogen pressures and even put different weight oils in the shock body to adjust rebound and stuff...

hope this helps
stfu n00b

1 - 7 of 7 Posts