Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
The lack of traction seems to be a common complaint with the r4 tires. A coworker had them on his Kubota and tried using it to clear his driveway, said it kept slipping and sliding.
This mimics what I was going to say about the tires.

I know there is a weight difference between the old and new machine, but I think it's the tires more than anything. The R4 wont rip things to hell, but that being said, they aren't biting like the AG tires you had on the old tractor would. I would say get used to using the diff lock.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This mimics what I was going to say about the tires.

I know there is a weight difference between the old and new machine, but I think it's the tires more than anything. The R4 wont rip things to hell, but that being said, they aren't biting like the AG tires you had on the old tractor would. I would say get used to using the diff lock.
Part of me almost regrets not just going with the R14T tires for the increased tractions, but at the time It wasn't what I wanted. Still, every 01 model kubota I see that people have 9 times out of 10 has the R4 tires, so they can't be that bad. I'm hoping it's just the difference in tire; I would think the R4 will have better snow/ice traction than the R1. either way, If I have to use the diff lock more, that's why it's there. Plus If I do get stuck, I would think it wouldn't be as bad as getting stuck with R1s lol

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Part of me almost regrets not just going with the R14T tires for the increased tractions, but at the time It wasn't what I wanted. Still, every 01 model kubota I see that people have 9 times out of 10 has the R4 tires, so they can't be that bad. I'm hoping it's just the difference in tire; I would think the R4 will have better snow/ice traction than the R1. either way, If I have to use the diff lock more, that's why it's there. Plus If I do get stuck, I would think it wouldn't be as bad as getting stuck with R1s lol
Hahaha, good point.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just turned 18 hours on the tractor; Haven't used it much over the winter; foresee getting the hours put in this summer.

Actually spent several hours on it grading our camp road with the box grader and I found something I do not like on it. The seat is very uncomfortable when sitting on it for a long period of of time. I never found the seat on the old L4150 to have that issue, never even noticed any issues. The 3901; I could feel a pressure point on my hind end about halfway into the task, and when I got done, it felt like I just sat on concrete for the past couple hours; plus, when I hit a bump, a couple times i've literally lifted off the seat enough to where the safety switch in the seat tries to shut the tractor off. (assume that can be adjusted with the seat suspension?)

Quick searching online says i'm not the only one to have similar issues with the lack of comfort in the seat. I don't see that Kubota has any readily available options, perhaps buy one for a B series? Couple people used the high back cordura fabric seat from TSC, which looks like a good seat; though they're not giving it away at $250.

Any suggestions or other options?

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
Just turned 18 hours on the tractor; Haven't used it much over the winter; foresee getting the hours put in this summer.

Actually spent several hours on it grading our camp road with the box grader and I found something I do not like on it. The seat is very uncomfortable when sitting on it for a long period of of time. I never found the seat on the old L4150 to have that issue, never even noticed any issues. The 3901; I could feel a pressure point on my hind end about halfway into the task, and when I got done, it felt like I just sat on concrete for the past couple hours; plus, when I hit a bump, a couple times i've literally lifted off the seat enough to where the safety switch in the seat tries to shut the tractor off. (assume that can be adjusted with the seat suspension?)

Quick searching online says i'm not the only one to have similar issues with the lack of comfort in the seat. I don't see that Kubota has any readily available options, perhaps buy one for a B series? Couple people used the high back cordura fabric seat from TSC, which looks like a good seat; though they're not giving it away at $250.

Any suggestions or other options?
I've been really happy so far with the seat that came on my LX2610. It's the premium B style. My back/butt are sometimes sensitive to crappy seats too and I've had zero complaints out of this so far. The armrest is nice too, although I keep the entry/exit side flipped up and find that I only lean on the loader control side.

Like you I've also questioned whether I made the right choice on the R4s or if I should have gone R14. Mine is for different reasons though; I've been mostly happy with traction but it's done some lawn damage when things are soft. On a machine this size though even turfs will tear stuff up when it's wet/soft. Gotta be realistic about my expectations. Feedback is still limited since the R14 is a newer tire, but everything I've seen people rave about them and most say it actually does slightly less lawn damage than the R4s. To me looks like it'd be due to the center stripe and the shallower overall tread. It is what it is though. I plan to groove these, primarily for better snow traction, but overall they do pretty damn well as it is.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finished up the first big project with the tractor. Got 120 yrds of gravel dumped on our camp road and I spread it and graded it. (Well, half the camp road). Loved, almost, every minute of using that tractor. Spent a total of about 10 hours spread out over several days.

Biggest takeaway, as said, was the seat is not the greatest and I really missed the cab that was on the old tractor. Going to be looking into something for the new one, even if just a roof. Also, i kinda want a grapple bucket, forks were just fine for moving the brush and trees I cut, but a grapple would have made the job easier. Not sure im gonna justify $2,000+ for something thats not really necessary though.

Other than that, very satisfied with the tractor still. Small things like the adjustable stops for the 3pt, meant i could find the perfect height to grade at, set the stop and not have to constantly pay attention to which number the 3pt is at. Maybe other brands have them, or can get aftermarket, but whatever just saying.

I really am going to buy a handle for the right side fender, especially with working a 3pt where i am contantly turned around watching it. I thought i would like to have cruise control, but I ended up not missing it at all. Foot never got stiff or got numb. Though some rubber matting on the foot wells would be really helpful, they still get slick even with the dimple holes. Upside to a higher end tractor

So list of things I want to do:

1) New seat
2) Fender handle
3) roof/cab?
4) hydrolic/hydrostat filter covers
5) floor mats on the foot wells

Lastly, had the first DPF burn. Went very simple and took about 10 minutes. Light came on, (only noticed cause the engine sound changed as i was watching the box blade), so all I had to do was run the engine up to full throttle, 10 min later the cycle was done, back down to 2k rpm, and that was it. Simple and quick.

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts