Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,657 Posts
Yanmar is a great engine. They are the only outfit that builds all of their own engines,trans,axles,etc. John Deere tractors under...i think 34hp? are just yanmar tractors painted green.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is one part I had a hell of a time with while tractor shopping was all the BS regarding Pricing and financing. New Holland had like 6 different prices for each tractor depending on financing and other variables for the same tractor. and of course non of them want you to be able to compare apples to apples.
That is part of why I ended up sticking with the R4s, I know they are good in similar terrain that I will be using it in. The R14Ts are supposed to be really good, but they look like they would do a lot of damage to yards/ground, maybe not as much as an AG tire, but more than the R4s.

The simple pricing was one thing I do like, they had a cash discount price, but other than that, the price was what it was, no matter how you paid for it. If you paid cash or got your own loan they discounted the price like $500, otherwise Kubota had the 0% financing for 3-7 years, whatever length you chose; if you went with Kubota credit.

Yanmar is a great engine. They are the only outfit that builds all of their own engines,trans,axles,etc. John Deere tractors under...i think 34hp? are just yanmar tractors painted green.
I remember reading/watching that about the lower HP Deere's....though for the bigger engines, doesn't john deere manufacture their own engines? Kubota is manufactured in NA by KMA, so american made even if not american based?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@wave_crusher

So, did you go to the TYM dealer?

I did, I did like the tractors, engine looked nice and simple. The feel riding it was a little better than the Kubota; just overall seemed like a better outline.

My issues were the dimesnsions, cost, and financing. I looked at the T354, and T454. The T354 was about right for size, for my wants but I didn't like the 26 pto HP, 34 engine HP wasn't bad so I wasn't' worried about that. I could just get by with getting a smaller size Brush Hog since that's about all I have right now that runs off the PTO (for now), so even that I could get over. I saw online that TYM also has a T394, but I didn't see one on the lot.

I really liked the T454, much better power ratings, 34 pto HP and 46 engine, problem is that is almost bigger than the tractor I just got rid of, so size wise it didn't make much sense.

Then I got to pricing and financing, I did not like their "options" at all. The dealer said they do in house financing up to 84 months, but it was like 3.5%-6%. Sounded like it was a credit card thing you apply for. They said they did not have a cash discount either. I could go get third party and get a better rate, but I still really liked the 0% for up to 84mo.

The warranties, least what I could find online, were pretty much the same. Overall, I kinda like the TYM a little more, but the financing is a big downer for me. The costs were close, was like 21K for the TYM 354, versus $23k for the L3901, but kubota also had a cash discount (was only like $500, but still). I think I might still go with the Kubota, just for the better financing options. I don't have the cash that I want to spend upfront, so financing a porting is the only way i'm going to get what I want, in any near future.

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
0% financing can't be beat, there's no doubt about it. Just make sure you get what you want since it sounds like you will have this tractor for a long time. (just my .02)

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
0% financing can't be beat, there's no doubt about it. Just make sure you get what you want since it sounds like you will have this tractor for a long time. (just my .02)
Maybe I should have went with a different brand, still have yet to hear anything back from my initial paperwork from Kubota...

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Think I'm going to try to get to the New Holland dealer this weekend. There's one right in town like @greygoose said, and it certainty can't hurt to ask about/ride one.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,680 Posts
If you're going to look at new holland, check the LS tractors too. Iirc they build them for new holland up to a certain size, just are priced a couple thousand less under the LS badging.

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
Sweet!!

I'll be up your way this weekend.
Think I'm going to try to get to the New Holland dealer this weekend. There's one right in town like @greygoose said, and it certainty can't hurt to ask about/ride one.
The only reason I suggested you look at that brand is because our association has one and they really like it. For years they had a little old Ford diesel, but as the campers got bigger, that tractor became too small.

They use the New Holland for towing trailers, grading the road, moving gravel, stump removal, etc. and have been happy with it.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, as figrued, I did end up with the Kubota. I did not mind the NH as much as I thought I wouldn't, but I didn't really "love it".

The paperwork had came back ready from Ginops in hillman so I went there and they had actually already assembled the tractor I wanted. I was a little taken aback first cause I never actually finalinzed what I wanted; but it worked out. I ended up getting the tractor, loader, pallet forks, loaded tires, and block heater (for whatever good it will do) for $23K out the door, delivered. Personally I thought that was pretty good, not super but makes me happy.

I used it for all of 10 minutes last night after I got home from work, and I absolutely love the pallet forks. Already have a list of stuff I want to get for it, namely a steering wheel knob (ridiculously helpful), a right side handle, tool box, and more lighting.

Also, i'm new to tractor hydrostats....is a very high/loud wine normal? Like idled at around 2,000 rpm and using the hydro in Medium, the whine is almost louder than the actual tractor engine, and it almost hurts the ears. My experience with hydros is limited to lawn mowers, and if they whine that loud...that's a no good. Some noise is normal, I know that, but this seems like a lot, lot.

Attachments

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
Hahaha, I figured that's where you went to get it and that's the brand you would go with. I drove past there Tuesday and wondered if you decided what you wanted to do.

Glad you got what you wanted. The new tractor looks awesome! (y)

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Dang, that thing is shiny!!!! have fun with it. Be sure to post before and after pics of your handy work.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hoping to get some work in this weekend.

Also, on the hydro noise...seems like that is all normal. I was running it at realitively low RPM, which I found out that hydros love engine RPMs and full peddle. I was running it in medium, I switch to low range and use more full go peddle. see how that works next. Reads like that model specifically is just louder cause of it's size, the M5400 and L4701 both have a different setup with the hydro unit inside a large cast box, so it deaden's the noise much more.

Loving the idea of more maneuverability, hopefully it works out like that. Still a bit apprehensive that I bought too small of a machine, but maybe it's just after action jitters of going from a machine literally twice this ones size.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Love your new rig great size for hobby farming.
About 4 inches from the tip of the forks I drilled a 1" hole and screw a trailer ball on just hand tight to move trailers around As needed, WOW is that handy !!!!

RBB

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Love your new rig great size for hobby farming.
About 4 inches from the tip of the forks I drilled a 1" hole and screw a trailer ball on just hand tight to move trailers around As needed, WOW is that handy !!!!

RBB
Yep, hope so too. We've got 80 acres at camp, but can't really access 30 acres with a tractor. Debating on keeping the quick hitch or buying a set of Pats Easy Change.

Thanks! That's a great idea...I was going to use my 2pt draw bar and build a 3pt trailer hitch out of it. This might just make that a lot simpler.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It also helps keep straps and chains out at the end of your forks for those times when shit gets weird around the farm

21 - 38 of 38 Posts